1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB port vs Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hybrid hugger, Sep 12, 2016.

1. hybrid hugger

hybrid hugger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have paired my iPhone 6s to the Prius using Bluetooth. Since the iPhone (6s) doesn't support (Qi) wireless charging, I stick my phone in a CD slot mount and plug it into the USB port on the center console using a lightning cable.

When I do this, I see the phone as an audio source in addition to the Bluetooth.

Question: Both of them really point to the same device so what's the difference when I pick one of the audio sources over the other? Maybe I didn't look closely but are there additional connectivity options by picking the phone source vs the BT source?

Thanks

2. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 6sPlus and converted to wireless charging with a charger case. I like it quite a bit and even though my phone/case combo is a little larger than the charging pad in the Prius, it charges up perfectly. Fewer cords dangling the better.

3. hybrid hugger

hybrid hugger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Which charger case did you use?

Also, if I choose to continue charging using the USB port, my question was about the difference between the 2 audio sources? Any ideas?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I always thought the lightning (USB C) connector on the 6 was for power and data only. Perhaps the JBL stereo is converting the digital signal with its own digital audio converter, which you utilize when selecting the iPhone plugged into the USB in port. I ended up sticking with bluetooth connection so far and using the 12v power port for the back seat with a USB converter to power and charge the phone prior to getting a Qi compatible case.

The case I got was BEZALELĀ® Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Phone Case Charger Back Case for iPhone 6+ Plus / 6S+ Plus (not for iPhone 6)

5. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Bezalel Latitude universal wireless charging receiver case for the iPhone 6s works with the Prius with the Qi pad

iPhone ?

6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I use that case. After 7 months, it still works well. I recommend it for iPhone users.

7. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    After a couple of days playing around, I concude that the JBL Entune system in my car has it's own DAC (digital analog converter) which allows it to take digital files (in a variety of formats) and convert to audio. That's why it works with iPhone, iPod Touch and other systems that don't have analog sound output from USB. This is a good thing, actually, since some feel that Bluetooth connectivity doesn't sound good and plugging from the headphone jack in the devices to the jack in the car results in double amplification, which is another no-no for high fidelity. Using the USB connection bypasses both the bluetooth compression and internal amplifier in the portable device, yielding (theoretically) superior sound.

I was pleasantly surprised when one of my Sony Digital Walkman devices worked with USB connectivity and sounded marvelous.