1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by normaljim, Apr 1, 2014.

1. normaljim

normaljim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2010 Prius III and the USB has stopped working with our iphone 5. It has worked fine for the last six months and then out of the blue, it will not connect to the audio system or charge our phones. I took it to the dealer who said that the usb port worked with their device and cable. They recommended that I should buy a new cable. I did that, no change. I also erased my phone and re-installed the operating system. There was a brief flash when the recharging system kicked and then it immediately went back to no connection. After extensive experimentation, I found: The prius will charge my old iphone 3g with the 30 pin connector. It will play music from my ipad 2 also with a 30 pin connector. It will occasionally recognize my iphone 5 with the six pin connector for a brief moment and then stop.

I have tried new and old cords, new and old devices. I am at a loss how to proceed. I would like to get the dealer to fix it, but since they can't replicate the problem, I don't even know how to talk to them about it. Any suggestions on how I can move forward would be appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    use a flash drive and put some mp3 music in there and plug it in. see if it'll play the music. It may be a driver issue with the iphone 5. I don't think Toyota intended that USB to be compatible with all devices it connects to. I think it was made to use as a flash drive mp3 player and possibly the technology of 2010, when the car was designed.

normaljim likes this.
  3. normaljim

normaljim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the suggestion. I reinitialized a flash drive and put an mp3 file on it. The file played just fine. We have been using iphone 5s with the prius usb for six months without any problems. The issue must be in a recent software update for the phone, or perhaps a six pin connector problem, but the issues does not correspond to the 7.1 update. It happened out of the blue: One day the system worked worked, the next it did not.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you wanted to, maybe you can reset the entire car. If you disconnect the negative on the battery post, wait a few seconds and reconnect, it should reset your entire car. Of course you would have to redo the clock, radio, window settings afterwards but that should reset everything in your car......including the radio if it's acting up.

normaljim likes this.
  5. normaljim

normaljim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is a great idea. If resetting the phone sometimes works, resetting the car should as well. I will give it a try and report back.

6. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had to buy an orginal Apple cable to get my iphone 5 to work. Once I purchased this,I had no problems. My aftermarket cable did work at one time,and then stopped when an update to the phone was done.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those people at Apple are behind this money grab venture!! Disable the functions if the cord is not OEM. Brilliant!