1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Use your PDA to play MP3s (using Prius controls)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jrfaris, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have been reading the threads about IPod interfaces or MP3 playback using the auxiliary input. However, because I use my Palm Treo 650 smartphone for MP3 playback and I have a 2004 Prius (no aux), I’ve been stuck using either a cassette adapter or an FM transmitter. Recently, I discovered the GROM audio adapter with a connector cable specifically for my Treo. I just installed it in our 2004 Prius so I thought others might be interested in an initial performance review. The installation was easy once I removed enough right side dash components to get to the back of the radio and I was able to locate the adapter box in the area below the radio, concealed behind the trim piece beneath the small storage compartment. I drilled a hole in the back of the compartment for the adapter’s din plug so the Treo connector cable feeds through and is stored there. The Treo MP3 files began playing as soon as I plugged in, switched the Prius audio to the external CD and started playback. The sound quality through the GROM is much better than either the FM or cassette option. Also, I am able to select from up to 6 playlists of MP3 files by pressing the corresponding disk selection buttons on the Prius. The seek controls on the dash and the steering wheel switch between tracks or playlists in the same manner as with CDs. Unfortunately, Title Text does not appear as an option for the external CD connector (CD2) on the Prius. GROM says titles are not supported on Toyota’s at this time but they are working on it. I know that IPod adapters for the Prius can provide text so I think there is a good chance they will find a fix. Overall, I’m pleased just to have the plug compatible MP3 playback capability and the Treo is charged automatically when it’s plugged into the GROM so I got rid of the cigarette lighter adapter. Lastly, the GROM uses a special version of TCPMP for Treo playback and it currently doesn’t stream internet radio, however I’ve found that streams being played by other Palm applications can heard though the Prius audio system (however, the car’s disk and track controls don’t work these players). So I can play internet radio programs on the Prius audio system using my cell phone’s data link. All of the above applies to my Treo 650. Unfortunately, my wife’s Treo 650 is having some issues with the GROM and doesn’t consistently accept disk and track requests. So while it is still a work in progress, Grom seems committed to improving its performance.

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Man, now that's really great!! I'm going to have to re-think my options when I replace my Dell Axim. was the install difficult? how long did it take?

3. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 30 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]341060[/snapback]</div>
    Probably a little over an hour once I figured out that the large white connector beside the radio could be moved to make it easy to get to the external CD changer plug location. Originally, I thought I might have to remove the driver side dash components to pull the radio. I was able to do it by just removing the lower glove box, the vent cover to the right of the radio, the cowling below the radio and then moving that connector block (didn't have to disconnect any wiring). There are a couple of satelite radio install posts that are helpful.