1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

used (11k) Prius advanced driveline vibration hwy bet. 60-70?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by buggeroffbigliar24, May 30, 2022.

1. buggeroffbigliar24

buggeroffbigliar24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi..got my daughter a 2018 w. 11K miles at a Lexus used car lot. The car drove fine on test, but now, in 2nd day around a 25 mi. radius on hwy., it would intermittently develop a low vibrational rumble-nothing shaking in the car, but noticeable by all. It seemed to come and go, not triggered by road surfaces, throttle position etc-afaict.

We have a 90 day lemon law if it has to be repaired more than 3x=refund/return. I also have to have the car inspected, so will go to a Toyota dealer tomorrow am or asap!

My fear is this is some sort of intermittent (came and went a few times, lasted about 1min or so) driveline or transmission issue-unless tell me how an a/c on continually at 71 in a 92f day would be this noticeable?

What are possible things to have them check, given the dufuses at Toyo service probably don't take them on highway jaunts, at least on first visit? I'm doubtful that road rash or tire/balance issues would come and go so quickly....but again, it seems to fade when we drive uner 60 or over 70!!!?

I don't think there are major accidents w. this car's history, but iit does look like the rear bumper cover may have been replaced-oh oh!

Help appreciated immensely!!!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    run a carfax.

check the vin at toyota.com/owners

intermittent problems can be hard to track down. can a 4 year old car really have 11k?

how reputable is the car lot?

3. buggeroffbigliar24

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    check the vin at toyota site for owners
    4 year old car really have 11k?

how reputable is the car lot?
    Well, history is spot on, though I can't find the prev. owner. It's not quite 4 years, just a few months left tho. So you're right about the intermittent. The dealer was a Lexus used, and performed Toyota driveabillty/safety auth check over, and no accidents reported.

4. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would say with that low of mileage the car may have sat for a while and developed some flat spots on the tires (where the tires have been sitting in a particular spot for a long time). It could also be a tire balance issue. Some shops will do a road force balance where they actually take off the tire and spin them around the rim for the smoothest experience possible. If they are the 15 tires, you might be able to get a brand new set cheaply. Being that you said it comes at one speed and goes away at another, it sounds like its a tire issue to me. FYI Very unlikely a transmission issue as they rarely have an issue.

Being that you just purchased it, could you possibly take it into the lexus dealer and have them balance out the tires and check them for you?

Also, you posted this to the normal gen 4 Prius group and not the plug in group, don't think this matters but who knows. Welcome to the prius family BTW.

#4 robsnyder20, May 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
  5. buggeroffbigliar24

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks Rob...btw, I am a total newby, and can't find the 'plug in group' under general forums/forum search-follow, or just the search magnifier (no thread, just results)..that's how it ended up in main board category entry, etc. Would you please post a link?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    here you go, although it doesn't really matter, since it is not a plug in problem.
    the plug in is called PRIME, and you will find all the prime forums near the top of the forums page.

prime-care-maintenance-and-troubleshooting.162

7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Rob's probably correct; it sounds like a wheel/tire balance issue. If your handy; try rotating the tires to see if the problem moves on you. If a rear tire is slightly out of balance; it's very difficult to isolate - but once you move it forward; it's very easy to find and noticeable. This can also be a slightly out of balance half-shaft, noticeable in slight curves on the highway.

robsnyder20 likes this.
  8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Young girls notoriously curb it and knock off the wheel weights. When asked if they hit the curb they always deny recalling hitting anything but the evidence will be there

9. buggeroffbigliar24

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like you're supporting the current Supreme Court re. pregnancy too.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep politics out of here.

douglasjre likes this.