1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2004, $28,500?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Momentum, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Momentum

Momentum New Member

A coworker of mine who knows I've been waiting for a car and who is now retiring from the company has decided to sell his to me if I want it. It's a #9 with some additional extras like mats, net, fabric/paint protection, 100K warranty, etc. He's giving me the "special" deal of $28,500 because he claims he paid "more than $30K", which I believe. Its got 20K miles on it and seems to be in good condition. I drove it home today (which is really my first extended drive in any Prius) and everything seemed to work fine.

I know those of you who have been waiting forever might say "Take it!" but is it really a good deal to pay over MSRP for a used (some would say broken in) Prius? It's not the color I wanted but I can live with that.

2. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing you don't get with a used Prius is the $1500 federal income tax deduction. Only goes on new vehicles.

3. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can't make up your mind check out the 18 '04's on E-bay :!:
    That should be of some help. Or you could just wait forever to get a new one :!: But hey it's your call and you opened the Post.
    Whatever you do just enjoy it :!:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not a bad price, though it is quite a few miles for an '04.

I've been actually considering putting mine up for sale for something like $3-4k over what I paid to see if I can get it. The Prius will be a bit of a problem with a 3rd kid needing a car seat on the way. But I wouldn't let it go without getting a premium since it's mine/mine/mine!!

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

If the price of gasoline decreases some more, or at least stabilizes for a few weeks, the craze about hybrids should disappear and you should not have to pay that much for a car with 20,000 miles on the odometer (only 16,000 miles to go before the bumber-to-bumper warranty ends).

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think it depends on what was added to the basic package. i've seen some go for nearly 30k because of leather etc. does he have proof of what he paid?

normally, i would say wait for yours, but locally the estimated wait time steadily gets longer and longer. you are in Ca so its probably worse there.