1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2012 loaded or new 2014 base?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Kelleybell, May 25, 2014.

1. Kelleybell

Kelleybell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am about to purchase my first Prius!
    I need the Prius v wagon for the cargo space.
    I test drove a brand new Prius v with the II level of options (cloth seats, no nav, etc.)
    Dealer price: $26,165 including tax and fees

Or:

I could buy a 2012 Prius v 5 fully loaded with ALL the options.
    It has 58k miles on it.
    $19,999

Which would you choose?

(And yes, I have an iPhone, love music, and am a bit of a tech weenie.)

Also, I have a bad back, so heated seats are a big plus, but I also have kids and dogs and work as a sign painter, so I tend to be rough on car interiors.

Thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, i love new cars! but the used one would be fine if in good condition and the amenities are certainly better. keep the battery vents clean if you have dogs, you may want to add a pre filter. all the best!

3. jlaibson

jlaibson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You really answered your own question with the last two paragraphs.

4. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would opt for the new car if you can afford the $6k price difference and don't mind the decreased fuel mileage of the V compared to the Gen 3. Consider the benefits of putting those first 58k miles on the car yourself, rather than buying one in which someone else drove all those miles. At 20k miles per year it will take you 3 years to drive 58k miles - and during that time you will have a full warranty and minimal maintenance costs. The older car will certainly need tires, a 12V battery, and more expensive maintenance sooner, which should be factored into your decision. The newer car will have 8 years of battery warranty. The older car will have 6 years of battery warranty and is much closer to the 100,000 mile battery warranty limit.

5. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would opt for the new car if you can afford the $6k price difference and don't mind the decreased fuel mileage of the V compared to the Gen 3. Consider the benefits of putting those first 58k miles on the car yourself, rather than buying one in which someone else drove those first miles. At 20k miles per year it will take you 3 years to drive 58k miles - and during that time you will have a full warranty and minimal maintenance costs. The older car will certainly need tires, a 12V battery, and more expensive maintenance sooner, which should be factored into your decision. The newer car will have 8 years of battery warranty. The older car will have two years less and is much closer to the 100,000 mile battery warranty limit.

6. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought a new 2013 v five loaded and love it,more than enough room in the back.I also have a bad back and find the seats a little hard and a pillow helps a lot.Went from a 2011 pries four but needed more room.dont think there is any difference between the 12 and 14.