1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2013 Prius with 40,000 miles on it

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by marianthe, Jun 9, 2020.

1. marianthe

marianthe New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi All- have been hanging around here for a couple of weeks and really appreciate all the info here. My partner and I have been looking for a used prius as our new car and I think we have found the one: a 2013 trim level 4 (would prefer paying less for less bells and whistles but there aren't a ton of used prii in our area), clean title, one owner, only 40,000 miles, currently at our trusted auto mechanic to get a full inspection. As long as that checks out we have agreed with the owner on the price of $11,700. Through my research I feel like this is good deal, but would love any input.

I am especially curious on thoughts about the hybrid battery, buying a 7 year old car I understand in a few years there could be some risk of the battery needing replaced. Is it having been driven less than average over the last 7 years a good thing in terms of the battery life, or a bad thing?

Lastly-we could afford to spend more to get a 2016 or 2017 but I'm having a hard time parsing out what makes the most economical sense over time, and if the 4th generation have significant improvements mechanically?
    Any thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks a lot!

bisco and Burna J like this.
  2. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No......

3. Solar Blue

Solar Blue Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 3rd gen has a problem with the egr system and is known to burn oil.
    As I understand it, these problems were solved on gen 4. But, only time will tell. And it may turn out that gen 4 has other problems that simply haven't popped up, yet.
    Gen 3's are good cars but they require some attention that gen 2 didn't.
    It should also be noted that the fuel economy has improved with each generation.

Greenteapri likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That price seems a bit high...but if I were going to buy a G3 (2010-2015) I would definitely want one with low mileage, since most of the known problems with this model are very easily ameliorated with simple maintenance.
    A little preventative maintenance, and a little luck, and you have a 250,000 mile car.

For a little more money you can get a G4 (2016+)
    They're a much better car in many areas except for one, which is the fact that they fell out of the very top of the automotive ugly tree and didn't miss a single branch all the way to the ground.
    They're also more likely to have some of the alphabet soup of safety tech that all cars some with these days.

However (comma!!!!)
    We're not exactly in OPs Normal, economically speaking, and smart money isn't looking for newer cars to buy!! (**)

If this is a necessity, then smart money says buy as cheap a car as you think you'll be able to maintain for RELIABLE transportation, which means that sometimes an older car + money in the bank for repiars > a newer model that you have no way to fix if it sucks a valve or suffers from a $1,000 problem with the HVAC, brakes, or electrical - or any of the other things that might go wrong on any used car.

Traction batteries are virtually trouble-free for > 10 years.
    After that, they're a $1500 fix, more or less.
    Not cheap....but I can think of several repairs that would be more likely AND more expensive.

YMMV

Good Luck!

(**) Disclosure: I bought a new car last month, but it was the least expensive model that my CFO and I could agree on, I can write a five-figure check to cover any issues that might arise, and I STILL break out in a cold sweat at the thought of having to stroke a check every month to pay for it..... ;)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pony up for the fourth gen, you won't regret it experientially or financially

Montgomery likes this.