1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used car - how to tell if leather is factory installed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dominicsavio, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Folks,
    I'm looking at buying this used Prius from a dealership. It is an '06 model (delivered in Dec05) in Colorado. It has leather.

I want to know if this leather was factory installed or after-market (e.g. dealer/other installed).

Is there any way to tell?

I couldnt find any related posts on this topic during my search..

Thanks!

DS

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could take the VIN number and ask the Toyota dealer for a copy of the options installed and standards for that VIN.

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    When I got my 2005 (in Sept 2005) there was no such thing as factory leather. If you ordered leather from the dealer they would have it installed at a local shop. Not sure if that was still the case in 2006 or not.

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...tion-codes-package-contents-color-combos.html

PKG 8 -inc: rearview camera, JBL AM/FM stereo w/CD changer/MP3/Bluetooth/(9) speakers, Smart Key system, driver/front passenger seat-mounted side & front/rear curtain airbags, vehicle skid control, alarm system w/HomeLink, HID headlamps, front fog lights, navigation system, leather-trimmed seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i heard that most aftermarket leather installers don't wrap the steering wheel, so that could be a clue that it wasn't factory leather

6. Snagtooth

Snagtooth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also, I have heard the door arm rests may be vinyl if factory leather and may not be wrapped at all (ie still cloth) if aftermarket leather. Not sure if that is true or not, but may have some merit.

Do you not want aftermarket leather? In some cases it can be better than the factory. For example, my neighbor own a customizing business so I had him do my leather (good discount, trustworthy install, etc). I was able to do 2-tone premium Katzkin which is much more durable than the factory stuff (or what they would have had their shop put in) plus heated seats for less than what the dealer would have charged for their own shop to do the cheap stuff without heat.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dominic,

As others have mentioned, the easiest way to visibly tell if a 2006 has factory leather is to check to see if the steering wheel is leather.

For your reference, below is a link to the 2006 Prius eBrochure:

http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/06_prius.pdf

I also have a high quality scan PDF of the 2006 Prius print brochure, which has pictures of the factory leather. Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll email it to you.

Good luck.

8. Wavelene

Wavelene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You can also stick your head under one of the front seats to see if there are rubber straps holding the leather seat covers in place underneath. If you find a strap, it's an aftermarket cover.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The steering wheel is a sure fire way. I have never seen an aftermarket kit that includes the steering wheel.

10. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with sdtundra, ask any Toyota dealer to run the VIN number and they should be able to see what was on the original window sticker. If the window sticker showed that it had a package 8 installed for a 2006 then the leather was installed at the port in CA when it arrived in the US. AFAIK, at least for the 2006 none of the leather was actually installed in the factory, all package 8's were pulled aside at the port and leather was installed there. Mine has the package 8 and a 2006, it does have all the original leather installed; seats, door and center console armrests, steering wheel.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO you are describing PIO (Port Installed Options). Factory leather was available in 2006 as well as port installed leather. I seem to remember reading that the PIO leather contained a gel pack and was perforated. The photos in the 2006 booklet are inconclusive as imperforate and perforated leather are identified as package 8.