1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

used gen 2 prius pricing - actual vs. blue book?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slade, Mar 15, 2011.

1. slade

slade Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking to get a gen 2 prius, and kbb puts the value at around $7500. Most listings I see are for around $10,000. In the past most vehicles I've seen have been listed at much closer to blue book. Can I expect to actually negotiate down to around $7500, or is the market value actually higher? What should I expect to pay?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the theory is that the rising fuel prices are pushing up used prius prices a bit and kbb values are lagging a bit behind.

3. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They are highly sought after, especially with the rising gas prices, so they are at a premium - exactly what was posted previously. I did see a list of the top 10 most economical used cars for under $10k yesterday, the 2005 Prius w/approx 100kmiles for $9999 was the # 1 car & the only one to get a 5 out of 5 JDPowers reliability score.

I have two 2005's (selling one) & I couldn't agree more.

4. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    just like gas guzzling SUV's current actual sell price is much lower than KBB due to $4 per gallon pricing

5. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a small dealer here that usually sells alot of used Prius. He buys alot of off lease and repos. Mostly stuff that large branded dealers don't want. He always has some Prius. Usually 04-07 models with 80-125k miles. Right now he has none, and he has not had any in the last 30 days or so. He typically buys stuff that he can get a great deal on, marks it up $500.00 and turns it quickly. He does not make alot on any one car, but makes up for it in volume. My guess is that he just cannot get any decent deals at the auction. Demand has eaten up the used supply that was out there, now the prices are climbing quickly.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check multiple sources like Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, Nadaguides and more.

Your term 'blue book' is too general .... are you speaking of trade-in value, private party, retail or Certified value?

Check cars value with year, miles, trim, options, accessories and the type of sale - private, trade-in, retail, certified used.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Two 2005 Prii with 100k miles (both in NJ) sold recently on eBay (one was my daughter's) for about $7,700. A dealer can get a somewhat higher price, but that was the market price last week for a private party sale.

JeffD

8. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of my favorite topics.

KBB and NADA are completely irrelevant and pretty much always have been.

Black Book has always been closer to the mark.

The quickest way to get a true value on the vehicle is to call your credit union and ask them what the loan value is.

Key in the car that you are interested in and get a good idea of how much the dealers are looking to soak you for.

CUDL Auto Mart - Black Book