1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Gen 2 vs 3 vs Honda Fit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hip0, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Hip0

Hip0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the market for a new (used) car and have been looking at common major problems so I know what to expect.
    I've narrowed down my choice to either a gen 2 / 3 Prius or else a Honda Fit around those same years. The Fit seems like it doesn't have a big repair item like the Prius does. On top of a battery replacement for the Prius, the gen 2 models has a brake actuator problem (and also HID lights problem, although this can be avoided if you don't get HID and got halogen right?) and then the gen 3 has the head gasket problem.

I don't know if I missed anything and of course I could never experience any of these problems but I just want to be prepared and know what to expect in a worst case scenario. Although I would prefer a Prius, how common is the brake actuator problem vs the head gasket problem in the gen 2 vs 3? Or should I just go with the Fit which seems like it'd be the safer choice.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles per year will you driving, and are you mechanically inclined with a DIY attitude?

Skibob and PriusCamper like this.
  3. Hip0

Hip0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before the pandemic I was driving around 13k/year. I do have a somewhat basic DIY attitude (oil change, brake pads), but am maybe not so mechanically inclined to do a complete self-repair of a blown head gasket myself for example. I would at least research issues and if it seems too hard I'd buy the parts and pay for labor at a shop to save some costs.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What COULD go wrong with a Gen2? Possibly high voltage battery, brake actuator, catalytic converter theft, combination meter (speedometer), high engine oil consumption, multifunction display, anything with the fuel tank (bladder type tank- is a sealed assembly), and the HID's. Plus anything when you are dealing with 12 to 17 year old cars.

The Gen3 has engine head gasket, clogged EGR system, oil consumption, HV battery, brake actuator, and some other things.

IF you can fix things and can afford the time and or expense of potential problems then a Prius might be a good idea. You might get a "good" car that is reliable, but a hybrid has more stuff in it which means there is more that CAN go wrong. Many of these problems were common enough that Toyota had some kind of extended service warranty.

That said I have a 2006 Prius that I got with a bad hv battery- repaired that and made it my daily driver. I prefer it to my 06 Corolla, but I have a spare car if I need it as I wouldn't be shocked if my DIY battery repair goes bad or some other fault crops up. Already had to repair the speedo/CM.

IF you want a car that is more likely to "just works" (your time/money budget is fixed, or you are "risk averse") then I would look at a conventional car like a Fit, Yaris, Corolla, or Civic. In general these cars are less complicated and are less likely to have pricey failures.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 mr_guy_mann, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Skibob and SFO like this.
  5. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Prius would be slightly better than the Honda Fit. It’s a bigger car, has better reliability, better fuel economy and less maintenance. Actually, the maintenance that Honda vehicles require per factory manual is way more than most other manufacturers including Toyota. For example transmission fluid changes every 30k miles when Prius is lifetime. Some people change the Prius fluid every 60k or 100k but with the same thinking Honda owner change transmission fluid with every other oil change.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plus if you buy a Prius in California the catalytic converter will get stolen in about 20 mins in fact be extremely aware if you buy a used Prius seen a few posters in here getting screwed in that there G2 cat was stolen they put a cheapo after market on and sold the car.
    New buyer could not pass emissions they inspect it to see if it’s a real OEM cat.

real OEM cat is around $2200 and since the thieves now know where you live they come back and steal it again. Very common on this site. It’s a nightmare.

go on YouTube and search

Prius stolen

for Ca cat info.

in short you do not want to own a G2 in Ca. Smart of you to go on the car forum of the car your interested very smart.......

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can DIY an oil change and brake pads... You'll be able to handle taking care of your hybrid system because PriusChat has endless info on how to fix everything. A Honda Fit doesn't have that level of online community.

8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Enough said right there. Buy the Honda Fit.

edthefox5 likes this.