1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Keyfob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by AlphaTeam, Mar 2, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I buy a used keyfob on Ebay can I reprogram it to my car if it is already programmed for another car?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Make sure to get the proper one for your car though. I recall seeing a post that a non-SKS fob won't work on a SKS car, and vice-versa.

You also would need to get the "key" part of the fob re-cut for your car (I don't actually know if they sell those seperately from the fob portion).

Dave

4. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Fayette County, PA (50 miles SE of Pittsburgh)

You can get a new, uncut key to slide into the side of the fob, on ebay. It's $9.99 plus $3.00 shipping. Just look for the listing below,

PRIUS UNCUT MASTER KEY !!!!!!!!! (Sorry, haven't figured out how to add a link directly to it!)

I called my local dealership, they charge around $35.00 to reprogram a fob.

5. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Different question:

Can I program my daughter's '06 (pkg 8) to recognize my SKS key(also '06 pkg 8)... without compromising the ability of my car to recognize my FOB?

I do not want to FOB buttons to work... and obviously the mechanical key would not work. I simply want to be able to move her car in front of the house without having to run inside to get her set of keys when she is blocking my garage.

/Jim

6. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the subject of the cut key, I got two extras for $8 a piece. I went straight from the sales floor to the parts dept and they did it right then. They can also make it on a regular blank, but I liked the little one.

I got them so I can put one in my desk at work and one at my parents house...that way I'm never locked out of the car. My spare fob stays in my apt.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

this has been discussed a while back on PC- here's what DH came up with.