1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Mobile 1 Synthetic, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gobux, Oct 16, 2010.

1. gobux

gobux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just switched from normal oil to mobile one synthetic advanced fuel economy.

Since my Prius has 89k on it, should I be worried that I made the switch without any preparation for my engine for the switch?

Should I be concerned with leaks or anything else?

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To my knowledge, there's nothing you could do to "prepare" your engine for the switch in oil. I wouldn't be worried about it; but with 89K miles, I think you're wasting money using the much more expensive oil. I don't think you'll see any change in mpg.

3. gobux

gobux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was on sale for 5 qts and a filter for $32.99, that's why I got it. But I didn't really consider switching it, should I never go back to normal oil now?

4. MtnHighPrius

MtnHighPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cant see any problem oil is for lubrication and mixing coventional with synthetic is ok so I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm about to change my oil for the first time since I bought it. Is there anything difficult about it compared to non hybids. its a 2004

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a very simple job changing your 04 Prius oil and filter. You may need a wrench for the filter as some shops tighten them more than necessary! I just change my 06 oil and filter to 0-20 wt. because when I purchased the car they had put 10-30 wt. in it. I prefer the 0-20 full synthetic in my Hybrids. H

1 person likes this.
  6. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't worry, synthetic oils do not cause leaks. There was an issue with the seal conditions of the first synthetic oils 35 years ago that caused some seals to leak; this issue has long been fixed and is simply not a worry with modern synthetic oils.

Mobil 1 is a fine choice for your Prius.

Rumple

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, it's hard for me not to be sarcastic...but I am curious? What exactly would you do to prepare your engine for synthetic?

Read it Mobile One Press Clippings and advertising?

Seriously, if you go to the Mobile One website, of course their stance and opinion is that switching is beneficial and harmless. They give long reasons why stories of oil leaks developing are outdated and not valid.

Personally? I plan to switch to synthetic, and my feeling...not based on any research, but my plan is to switch and just KEEP using synthetic. I think it's a superior product and the only potential problem I could imagine would be switching back and forth.

8. gobux

gobux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "To prepare"

I was referring to checking for current leaks, checking leaky gaskets, possibly changing the gaskets seals. Just things I've heard...

I was also suggesting that maybe you should go to a synthetic blend then to a synthetic.

I will note your sarcasm though.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say the things you mention are valid things to do check...anytime with any vehicle...but I wouldn't change an otherwise perfectly working gasket JUST because I went from conventional motor oil to synthetic. I also don't think there is any advantage is "easing" the change by using blends....I'd take a Geek Nerd page from Star Wars and Yoda and Do or Not Do.....

All you've done is change your Oil....

Check for leaks....before, after and during...but don't sweat it..is my non-sarcastic advice.

10. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mobil 1 is a better oil. It will not cause leaks more then any other oil. When if first came out, the visosity was lower then was used in most cars. If I remember correctly, they claimed the 5W 30 should be used in applications recommending 10 W 40. This may have caused an increase in leakage in cars that were leaking because of the lower visocity. You can easily double the oil change interval with Mobil 1. BMW now recommends using it & 10K mile oil changes. Many people, myself included use it for longer intervals. I usually change my oil once a year, which means between 10 and 15K miles. This never caused a problem, and is better for the environment.

11. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I switched straight from regular oil and 5K change intervals to Mobil 1 and 10K intervals once my car passed 100K miles. I'm at 108K now and no issues at all.

12. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its more expensive yes if you change every 3500 mi. Extending the mileage between oil changes is the idea.

Use Mobil 1 on all my cars. Some used cars I changed mid stream no problems.