1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used only 6 gals in 8 days!! whats wrong

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by donaldhall, Jan 14, 2011.

1. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have owned this car for 8 days and the wife is driving her normal traps, only shows having used 1/2 tank and over 240 miles, something must be wrong with this thing, must take back to dealer,
    Anyone else having this issue.

he he he he he
    I think I love this car.:D

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the gauge shows 5 pips remaining, she may have used as little as 5 gallons, if her gauge reads the same as mine.

Of course, this is much too early to determine actual fuel use. Wait until after the second fillup.

3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might want to buy some gas extender, just in case you fuel up only once a season or so.....;)

4. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel stabilizer can also help preserve gas that's going to sit in the tank for long periods of time :D

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you 100% sure the fuel tank was FULL when you picked the car up? My car will go about 80 miles before the first, top pip goes out.

I'd fill the car up to the first click and test again. Also, check your tire pressures. This is very important that they are at the correct (some owners prefer 2 or 3 psi higher) to get the best mpg's. The correct pressures are shown inside the drivers door on a label.

6. tumbler

tumbler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very clearly you are experiencing excessive economy. Check the traps higher up in the mountains and be sure to carry about 30 lead (Pb) bricks in the trunk. That will cure the problem.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Side effects include giddiness, happiness, a zen-like feeling, increased monetary savings, bragging rights and occasional forum postings. None of these are life-threatening. If conditions continue, learn to live with it.