1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used or New? And what Package?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ranmandx, May 29, 2007.

1. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Okay a lot of my information comes from canadian spec models. I need some insight and help in deciding what avenue to go with.

I am GOING to buy a prius in the next few weeks. I have two major options used or new. I have a wholesaler who attends auctions and adds a very slight markup to cars he picks up basically i should be able to get one for around 25,000 CAD with say 40,000km around 25,000mi. Right now in ontario canada there is a tax rebate of 4,000 dollars on any new prius, and up to 2000 on a used prius. (our taxes here are 14%) anyways a new base package (A package) sells fo around 33086 including taxes a used 06 one will go for around 26500 it could be an A pack or a B pack they are close in price. Financing costs in consideration i'm looking at saving only 4(A)-9(B) thousand dollars between used and new. Is it worth it to get a used one?

The other side of my question revolves in packages. In canada we only have three packages labeled A for base, B (fog lights, traction control, anti theft, smart key, JBL audio with 6disc changer and aux in, bluetooth, and extra airbags) the C package just adds voice activated navigation to the mix.

I wanted a C package but the C package is grosly overpriced 41557 dollars here in canada minus all rebates and applicable taxes added. The B package costs 37738 and the A package costs 33086

I need to know if the B package is worth the cost. I'm interested in a couple things in it particularly the auxilary input for the stereo the 6 disc MP3 Capable changer and the bluetooth however i'm not fully sold on the bluetooth functionality yet i need to see how exactly it will work with my blackberry. So far i've had neither features in any of my other cars i use an FM transmitter for my iPod and use my phone normally. Is the updated stereo a significant improvement and do the other features make a big difference to warrant the 4k price increase?

Another option i have available to me is to buy a REBUILT prius that has been in a collision from this one guy. They sell in the low 20's with very low mileage and less than that with higher mileage. They don't have any waranty on them yet the rebuilder warrants any repair related issues if any arise.

I guess i need to know if it's worth saving a few thousand dollars buying used with the miles i mentioned or new and if the packages will influence my decision on both the used vs new debate as well as package debate.

I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada if anyone is around these parts with a B pack or C pack that i could try out. Most models purchased are base.

Oh and on another note the Camry Hybrid sells for much cheaper than a B package prius and includes those options plus much more. The baes Camry Hybrid comes in at 34407.6 vs the prius's 37738 price including rebates and the such. The hatchback of the prius is nice for many reasons and the usable space is far greater i think. I've driven the camry hybrid and it does drive fantastic as well and does have a lot more power especially at freeway speeds.

2. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    wow, the prius is really overpriced up there in Canada. Its completely opposite here in the US where the camry hybrid is at least several thousand MORE expensive than a similarly priced prius. My only suggestion is to not buy a prius that has been in a collision unless you really know and trust the guy you are buying from and the car is in immaculate condition. You dont know how the collision affected the car, its engine and electrical components. You might end up having more problems down the line with it then a used or new car.

3. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

I would buy the new one. Can you buy in the US and drive it over to Canada? lol

Regarding packages...I have the voice activated Navigation on my Prius, and never ever use it. I think it would only be worth it if you travel out of state in unfamiliar territory alot, which I don't.

I do LOVE the bluetooth, but I use it with a Sprint Katana.