1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used or New?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by joeclark, Mar 2, 2008.

1. joeclark

joeclark New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At the risk of asking an age-old question... My current car (a 1992 Buick) is getting older as the months go by, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to settle on when it finally is time to say goodbye to it. I like the Prius for its fuel economy and for the reliability I hear that it has. However, I find it hard to justify the cost compared to other vehicles, and more generally it's hard to justify the cost of a new car compared to a used car (I guess I'm a penny-pincher).

So.. if I do settle on a Prius, would you suggest I consider a used one (probably the newer generation of 2004 and up), or should I just suck it up and pay more for a new one? Anyone have advice on things that are conspicuously different about the different model years (beyond what the specs make obvious)?

Thanks for entertaining this very basic question -- if the same thing has been discussed on other threads that I didn't see, feel free to redirect me.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Joe Clark, welcome to PriusChat! Of course it's been discussed, ad nauseum. The big changes came with the 2004 (new body style, changed HSD) and in 2006 (new display). There have been incremental improvements year to year, as well. The standard vs. Touring differences on the 2006+ models are well reviewed elsewhere.

At $3.30/gal or more, compare your Buick's MPG with a 44 mpg average for a Prius (many drivers do FAR better!) and operating cost savings may easily outweigh upgrade costs. Prius maintenance consists of oil and filter changes, rarely more. I bet your Buick is more.

I would suggest a 2006+ Prius. Used is good.