1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used or New

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jocko Jackson, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As most of you now I am in the market for a new car that get good gas mileage fro my dougher that goes to Texas A&M next year. :rockon:

My problem is I think I can get a used one of these insted of a new one at a good price. I would much rather pay a American my good money insted of the Japanese. My Papa was at Pearl Harbor and I still pissed bout that. :mad:

But the Americans that have these are probably do-gooders who don't have good American values and vote for commies. They probably want to sell because they get arrested or soemthing. This is my dilemma but I try to ignore this part.

Plus cars with batterys are a new thing for me. I can work on a tractor all day long but this is so new and all I just dont want to get somebody else's problems you know.

So what do you guys think? Do the problems are the problems ok over time and is it a good solid car or does it fall apart like a Chevrolet? One time my friend in high school started getting full of beer and runnin his mouth about hhis chevy. I hooked my Ford duely up to it and we had a pulloff and I jerk the hole underside of the back where the trailor hitch goes off. :rockon: He got some kind of beatn when he got home from his old man. He drive Fords now.

Anyway I appreciate any input on weather I should bite the bullet and give my money to the Japs or if it is ok to give money to borderline Americans with used cars. Thanks.

PS this is a great website. :cheer2:

2. GasSaving

GasSaving Saves $1,000/yr on gas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius helps us avoid this generation's wars in the middle east.

We've made peace with the krauts and japanese, ya know.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. LOL. Is this a joke? Since we've already breached political correctness, why don't you go back to f*****g your siblings.

4. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can somebody help me here please. I don't know weather to buy a used prius or not.

I dind't start this thread becuase of world war II and it is disgusting being told this stuff abotu my brothers and sisters having sex. I expect more information from you guys not this aggresive attack. Thanks.

5. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To Jocko & macmaster05,

Jocko, If you keep your political comments & name calling out of your posts, then you should find more people willing to answer your question & less likely to say mean things about your family.

And macmaster, I know his tone came across in an irritating way, but I think your comment was also uncalled for (you've always seemed to be better than that). The negative comments by both of you only serve to further ill will & that's not what this site is here for. We're here to help one another & I'd like to see it stay that way.

Sorry for the rant. I'm NOT the PriusChat post police, but I just felt I had to speak up in this case.

That said : Jocko, I would NOT ever buy a brand new car for a teenager. Too many things can happen : driver INEXPERIENCE (such as handling emergency situations), wildness (away from home for the first time), driver distraction (such as new student friends in the car---the reason some states won't allow anybody other than a parent in the car until the teenage driver has been driving for a year or so), etc. that could damage/total the new car & hurt or kill your daughter. So I would say go with a cheaper DEPENDABLE used car [run a CarFax on it & check out the reliability ratings for it in an April edition (the annual auto edition) of Consumer Reports (available in most libraries)]. They also have in that magazine sections that list car best buys & worst buys (ones to stay away from). And choose one with a good crash/safety rating to protect your daughter (in case she should get into an accident).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

6. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken I apprecate your point of view but how I raise my kids is not what i asked. It doesn't take a village to raise my kids they are my responsibilety and I raise them the right way with the help of the Almighty thank you very much.

Sorry if I went political in my post but I am proud of my heritiage and am not into political correct talk so I don't tend to edit myself much. If you can please just accept you are diffenrent than me and not try to change me I promise I will not criticise. This is a work in progress for me nowadays I said I would rathjer give my money to a liberal than a Japanese company so that is a start you know.

Do you have any thougt about the durability of an older prius? If not I can take care of my children myself so let's just move on between us and I hope somebody with some knowledge about the mechanics and log term durability can help me instead of clogging up things in here with your parenting advice. Thanks.

7. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jocko,
    Go Lay By Your Dish.

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    8/10 on troll scale. Good build up, consistent attention to detail. Well done!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good avatar.:)

10. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand what y'all are saying. Can anyone help a fellow out here.

11. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jocko,

First of all, I don't think you've adjusted your attitude yet for anyone of us to believe that you seriously want some advice. You seem just confrontational instead, hence the labeling of you as a troll.

Nobody is questioning your "heritage" here & I wasn't trying to give you any parenting advice. I was only making a general statement that it is probably a better idea NOT to buy a teenager (ANY teenager) a brand new car, since (as was said just this morning on the NBC news) that new teen drivers are 20% more likely to get into bad accidents than more experienced drivers. So why take a chance throwing away good money on a new car when a good, dependable used car will do fine. I have never personally known anybody who had a brand new car as their first car. I do think anyone who gives their teenager a new car is foolish. A better choice would be for the young driver to pay for their own NEW car themselves (if they MUST have a NEW car). That way they learn the value of a dollar & will likely be more careful with their big purchase so as to not take any chances on losing it by doing anything that may cause a crash. I am doing a bit of preaching here, but this is NOT directed at you. It's just MY opinion IN GENERAL.

So, again I am suggesting to go for a used Prius in your situation [& the insurance should be cheaper too (still high because of the teenage driver, but less than for a NEW car with a teenage driver)]. But you seem to have reservations about a used Prius because those of us who have bought them new for ourselves you classify as do-gooder, borderline-Americans who don't have good values & vote for "commies" & are only selling the used Prius because we are about to get "arrested or soemthing(sic)" [Note : (sic) doesn't necessarily mean we think you are "sick" for thinking this way---I know you think we probably do. (sic) just means I copied your mis-spelling of "something" as it was in your text that I quoted].

If you decide to get a used Prius, know that Toyota has a very good reputation for quality & their cars are quite reliable as a whole. If you're concerned about all the negative publicity they have had over the last few months (much of it unjustified), then pay a little extra & get a "certified" used Prius from a Toyota dealer (& maybe pay for an extended warranty too to ease your mind) rather than buying from one of us "borderline-American, do-gooders who are about to be arrested" (for what, by the way?). I would recommend the 2004-2009 Prius (known as the 2nd generation or 2G) over the 2001 -2003 "Classic" (which most of them will start needing battery packs soon). The 2G has a better battery setup & the system is more powerful than the "Classic". Plus the 2G is a more versatile hatchback style, whereas the Classic is just a notchback sedan with a small trunk.

We borderline-Americans do not sell our Priuses because we're going to be arrested. We sell them or trade them in (like most other car buyers do) when we have had them long enough that we are itching for the latest & greatest from Toyota. Me, I'm going to keep my 2005 until it doesn't run any longer, but many owners are just selling the 2G because they want the newly-styled, more powerful, & better MPG 2010 models. Some will wait a little longer hoping for the "plug-in" Prius coming in 2011 or 2012.

Just cool your jets a little, Jocko, & some others may decide to post some helpful advice here for you.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

12. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice post Ken but Jocko is just playing games -- his/her postings are for his/her own amusement -- I guess he/she figures the prius forum has enough gullible folks to actually take him/her seriously. The key to the scam is the spelling/grammar mistakes that appear to make him out as an sincere bumpkin of sorts. If you read the posts carefully, he slips up and writes quite well. There are also examples of correct and incorrect spellings of the same word in different posts.
    My guess is that Jocko has a long history of late night crank phone calls and anonymous pranks. Save your replies for actual people interested in the prius -- or not.

13. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    jayrider,

The guy seems to think nobody is giving him a fair shake. I was just trying to tell him not to come off so harsh against everybody & he might get it. I've done my part, so now we'll just have to see what kind of post he makes next & you guys can have at him again if he keeps his attitude the same.

I may not be a great judge of (his) character, but thanks for the compliment on my previous post(s).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

14. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It isn't a matter of fairness -- he is playing games and has no interest in getting assistance -- just getting reactions from other posters. In his first post he spelled daughter correctly then later misspells it. It's all staged. When people get angry or offer assistance he judges them as fools because they have fallen for his juvenile scheme. You can be sure he does this on various forums -- these scams meet some need in his pathetic life. Just ignore him.

15. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi again, jayrider,

I appreciate your insight into the world of trolls in your post #12. You're right, for the most part Jocko seems to write very well, so I just chocked up the mis-spellings as typos (which we frequently make when we type too fast & don't proof read) & hitting double keys. I make many typos too, but I go back & proof read my posts before hitting the submit key to look for errors & to see if my sentences convey clear thoughts or if they could be ambiguous to somebody. My computer software alerts me to most of my mis-spellings, but I catch a few myself that get past its software. However, my computer can't determine for me if my sentences are complete & make a clear thought, so I proof read before submitting. I had done that on my post #11 as normal, but I still didn't catch until just now a word that I had doubled up on. I removed it (see the edit message at the bottom of the post) today. I see you've made follow-up posts to some of Jocko's earlier posts in other threads, & I can see now why you would think of him as a troll after you saw more than just what is in this thread. Thanks again for your insight.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

16. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken thanks for the information about the certify preown prius with warranty. It seems you have no problem wiht older prius so that is what I am looking for. :rockon:

As for the reason skills you and jayrider think they have in figuring out me I am sorry you have to resort to that. I don't sit behind a desk all day and play on a computre like you two probably do. I have productive job that keeps this great county rolling thank you very much and I don't try to be arogant and put down others like you did here with me. I apologise about my spelling it is not important to me and I don't judge people. Maybe you should think about that. Thanks for your time.

17. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're welcome.

18. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My post was for Ken not you. He at least contrbuted after he stop being upity about parent skills. You contrbuted nothing here accept hogwash. Hopefuly you don't reproduce. :mad:

19. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your welcome and thanks for the kind wirds.

20. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, jayrider,

I don't know why he still is fixated on the idea that I was criticizing his parenting skills (which you know I wasn't) & then he has the nerve to insult you twice in one breath. Now I see what you meant in your troll analysis. He sure is coming off as a troll now & with his lack of attitude adjustment & non-restraint of insults, it will likely just keep going on as a troll does. I think it would be a good idea if a moderator lock up this thread now.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)