1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prii in Seattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did a search on "Edmonds Used Cars" (nice website) for used Prii in Seattle.
    I found about seven, all of which appear to be TRAC models, i.e. , base models with no options at all, including no rear wiper. They ranged in price from 26k through 32k (yup, 32k for a car with an MSRP of 21k). All of them are clean. Mileage ranged from 5600, for the 32k Prius, to about 14k or so for the others. I've seen the 32k one because it's on the lot at my service dealer. One lady who works there driving the shuttle van, said that she thinks they really don't want to sell it but put it on the lot to get it off inventory or something like that. She added that the Sienna is tough to get.
    I've never seen anything like this, although I haven't tracked the entry trajectories of other popular cars. Still, I don't think the MINI Cooper, the Beetle or the PT Cruiser ever reached these prices above MSRP.
    There are Prii out there for those willing to pay huge surcharges.
    I talked to a new car salesperson at my Toyota service dealer, who tells me that there is going to be another huge wait list for the hybrid Lexus due out this fall. The Scion, both models, are also in huge demand. He used to sell Dodge and Ford, but thinks Toyota has them beat hands down for quality. The new Lexus may take some of the hypbrid pressure off the Prius. He also said that Toyota will introduce a half ton hybrid pickup mid next year and I bet it will knock the socks off GM's hybrid. Within a few years (in other words as fast as they are able) they will be offering hybrid options for all their models. Hello Bill Ford? I don't imagine they're lifting their champagne glasses to Toyota in Edseltown.
    What's the used Prii situation look in your parts of the country? Might help some folks on the chatline who are waiting, to have some idea where they might find one if they are willing to pay above msrp.
    Bob
    p.s. I share what I think is a resentment at American automakers for failing us and following the standard Amercian " go for short term profits, screw the environment" corporate practice. In my more patriotic moments, I feel really sad that we have given up leadership in environmentallyl sound/socially conscious/long term oriented business practices. To paraphrase Theresa Heinz Kerry: The Prius is a great car, why do Americans have to turn to Japan to get one?
    Bob

2. Rickster

Rickster Junior Member

Noticed 3 used 2004 Prii at I-5 Toyota in Chehalis, WA (about halfway between Seattle and Portland, a drive I make quite often). All low-end packages, all in the vicinity of $27,000.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you suppose these cars are rentals?

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    geeus... i know the area is surrounded by water, but i assumed the piracy risk was fairly low here. after all, dont they prefer warmer waters???

guess not