1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used prime advanced vs new Prius 4

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EWH, Oct 14, 2018.

1. EWH

EWH New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! I've been looking very seriously at a Prius 4 for awhile now. I've been driving a 2009 Prius and can't wait to upgrade! A dealer just contacted me with a deal on a dealer demo Prius Prime Advanced (red with moonstone interior) with $5000 miles on it for $30250. Unfortunately it does not qualify for the rebate. The prices for the new 4's same color, are about the same. A dealer also told me that the red on the prime is different from the 4, and I really like the color on the 4, but the prime is hours away and cant find one anywhere close to look at. Would appreciate any advice and if anyone knows if the red on the prime is actually different than on the 4. Both say Hypersonic Red. Thanks so much!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    that is a terrible price for a used prime.

fly out here and pick up a new one for 28k. and you will qualify for the $4,500. tax credit

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't speak to the gen 4, but they are quite different cars. can you plug in and enjoy 30 miles of electric driving per charge?
    will you miss the 5th seat, larger hatch and spare tire?

4. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The color code for Prius Hypersonic Red is 3T7. You can ask the salesman if the 4 has the same code.

There is no tax rebate. It is a federal income tax credit. It goes to the first registered owner. You get to reduce your total federal tax by the amount of the credit...up to $4502, less if you don't pay that much tax. There may be state tax benefits as well.

So...the cost of a used Prime should be MSRP minus $4502, minus how much the used car lost in value, minus how much you can negotiate off the price.

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Keep in mind, in the Prime you only get four individual seats, not a bench in the back. Plus you lose a few inches of "trunk" space due to larger battery pack raising the floor. You may also have additional fees to register/renew in your state because its a plug-in. Does your parking situation (inside or out) give you the ability to charge your Prime at home? Do your driving habits give you the ability to take advantage of EV mode?