1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius in Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jun 15, 2009.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, just to highlight the excess prices we pay everywhere BUT the US, there are two 2008 Prius in Edmonton for sale at a used car dealer (specializes in lease returns and repos). The 2008 Canadian Prius is the same as the US "touring" model (16" wheels, extended rear spoiler). Both these are "magnetic gray". Haven't looked closely at them yet (a friend might be interested), just through a chain link fence. One has about 30,000 km on it and is priced at $23,500, the other has 50,000 km on it and is priced at $21,500. They are "base" models as far as I can tell from 100' away (no SKS system lock buttons on the door handles). We had three models to choose from, base, Pack. "B" with everything but nav, and pack. "C" with everything including nav. No leather has ever been offered "stock" in Canada.

Prius hasn't been very popular in Edmonton or Alberta for that matter so it's rare to see used ones. Perhaps these came from another province? My friend is checking to see if the dealer will provide a VIN so he can check the history of each.

If they -are- base models they sold for about $28,000 new (and the purchaser got $2000 back from the federal govt.).

2. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That sticker price doesn't mean it's going to be the selling price.

If you want it, I'd go ahead and make an offer for a lot less. I'm guessing these months aren't too good for Alberta dealerships, and a low profit sale is better than none....

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeesh... but then again in BC, $23k will get you a 2005 or 2006 Pkg "B" with low mileage (probably 50k).

Also Sun and Mayfield have plenty of '09s leftover cause they told me they're not ordering any 2010 til Sept/Oct.

4. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My wife needs a new car, so I've been looking at some used Prii as well.

About a month ago I saw a local Ottawa area dealership had 2 US 2008's with around 50-60k kms for $24k. It looks like they have 1 left and are trying to get rid of it for $22k. At the time I thought a lowball offer of $20k might work if they didn't sell too quickly.

Still thinking about it. Any news on warranty in Canada for US cars ? Last I heard it was supposed to be no problem. Or is there extra paperwork ?

Then again a basic Canadian 2009 is $27.7k. Add $1.3k for delivery etc, subtract $2k for "cash incentive" (? Until end of June ?), and perhaps subtract another $1k (?) for an end of model year discount, and it might be $26k + taxes ?

But yes, listed prices for used are rarely good deals, and are 'sucker' prices. I feel I have to make adjustments for assumed discounts when trying to compare used prices to new.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are $2,000 discounts for new 2009 models I believe. Or you can take 0% financing.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The warranty on US Prius is supposed to be honored in Canada. However, in the reverse case where you have a significant warranty problem with your Canadian Prius while traveling in the US, don't be surprised if there's some delay while TMS USA verifies the VIN with Toyota Canada.

This was the case with my 2001 (originally sold in Honolulu) when it needed warranty service in California. Servco Pacific is the Hawaii distributor which is a separate entity from TMS USA.

7. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well I went to my friendly neighborhood Toyota dealer this morning to see the 2010 in final form. Next week! While there they showed me the 2009 Base was for sale new for $25,488. So those used prices now seem a little high. :)

BTW, once again we have been thrown a curve. The 2004-2007 were "standard" model Prius. The 2008 was a "touring" model Prius. The 2009 has 15" wheels yet the touring rear spoiler! The car IS different in different markets!

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that would be the base model or the Premium Package "C".

I dropped by too today to check them out. Photos are in my other thread =)

9. hiremichaelreid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    $25,488 for 2009 ? Toyota.ca shows it as 27,710. Yes, there is a 2,000 cash incentive bringing it down to 25,710 (and for whatever reason, the website build and price function doesn't take that into account).

So 25,710 - 25,488 = $222. I presume this $222 is an additional dealer offered discount to help dump old 2009 models. I'd imagine one could get at least a $1,000 discount for a 2009.

I see the 2010 just appeared on Toyota.ca in the last day or so. List price $27,500, or $210 less than the 2009. I can't imagine much of a discount in the next week or two.

I wonder if the 2010 is much different than the US 2010. I haven't been following Prius news much so don't even know much about difference between 2009 and 2010, except more power and better mileage. Decisions, decisions ! :) Wife is hoping to get a new car soon.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The one I saw was down from $29k so maybe it was a Premium Package "C". David, was it the Driftwood??

The base models are similar between the two countries.

11. hiremichaelreid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK, thanks, that's what I thought. I wonder why the VIN check though ? I can't imagine they are checking for a 'counterfeit Prius'... I guess it could be an imported Prius for which there is no warranty in US or Canada. Or perhaps a wrecked car and the VIN check computers in each country only handle their own country ?

I spoke with a sales-droid at the dealership and of course he told me the warranty is all the same and no hassles, but I wouldn't trust any of those guys. It took me a while to get him to understand my request for the in service date; he said he'd call back and didn't of course...

Said droid also claimed the car had just come in from a US auction, but when I pointed out it was on the website 2 months ago, he claimed otherwise, but didn't seem to sure. It seems to take a 'special' kind of person to become a sales droid; sigh !

Here's the web page: 2008 TOYOTA PRIUS Touring Hatchback Sedan 4D

Says: "CLEARANCE PRICED. MUST BE SOLD. U.S. vehicle, odometer reads 37300 miles."

I'm suspicious that no external picture of the car is shown. The picture showing the hatchback inside shows a bunch of floor mats that may have marks on them. I'm suspicious it was used a lot for hauling stuff; perhaps even a dog or two. I may go see it this weekend.

I think it was listed at $24k two months ago or so, now it's $22k and I'd figure to offer maybe $20k. I'm wondering if it might be a US base model, which is even more basic than my Canadian 2008 base.

12. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "My" salesman (his opinion) said the Driftwood was a base model. I didn't even think to look for the SKS lock buttons. He said they had one package "B" and one package "C" (both at the storage lot), along with the two bases in the showroom and one base outside.

I wonder if Toyota was just using up parts and put the larger rear spoiler on the "non-touring" model to do so.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if it's the dealer I think you're talking about, they have about 15 left lol. I took a picture of 10 of them at the storage compound. Most were 15" models (so base or Premium Package "C"). The Mag Grey in the showroom was a Nav model.

Not sure but they went from 16" as standard in 2008 (the special edition models) back to 15" as standard in 2009. Price was dropped $200.