1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius IV? New Prius C Two?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by LongCommute, Mar 18, 2015.

1. LongCommute

LongCommute New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • In one corner we have a certified 2010 Prius IV with 50,000 miles on it for $15,000.
    • In the other corner is a new 2014 Prius C Two, not II (Roman Numerals were used for model year 2010), coming in at $17,500 after discounts.
    My personal preference is for the 2010 due to the size, leather seats, backup camera, and smoother ride. I just wonder whether buying used is going to come back to bite me a couple years down the road. The 2014 has the appeal of being my first new car. It is pretty basic but comes with a warranty, though I do wonder about it keeping its value with the number of miles I plan on putting on it.

Opinions? Considerations? Tell me what to do.

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What kind of long commute do you have?
    If it is mostly higher speeds I'd recommend the 2010 over a c.

3. LongCommute

LongCommute New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My commute is 75 miles each way. It takes 90 minutes on a good day.

Just reread the comment. It is mostly highway, so I guess that is one vote for the 2010.

4. WhiteHat

WhiteHat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd be grabbing the 2010 with both hands.

I recently totalled a 2010 III and went out and bought a 2012 three from a stealer, toyota certified. Very happy. I put 110k mi on the 2010 mostly commuting but some cross country trips. I changed a couple bulbs besides oil & tires. My mechanic was so sad I totalled the 2010, but happy I got a 2012. He's so busy he doesn't need extra work. And he certainly didn't get money out of my prius beyond oil changes. I get the impression he hasn't gotten much money out of any of the prius cars his customers have owned. He looked over my daughter's subaru and was ready to pronounce last rights from the coolant in the oil....

WH

Sergiospl likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! neither will be worth much when you're done with it at 40,000+ miles per year. the c will give you an extra year or so. i'd probably go with the '10 if it checks out. all the best!(y)

6. LongCommute

LongCommute New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. I am going to check out the 2010 today!