1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius Purchase Help...

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Mpress, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mpress

Mpress Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All,

I've found a used 2007 Prius for sale. It's a package 1 (backup camera, smart key, aux port for ipod, etc) and has about 60K miles on it. The previous owner used it for his long highway commute to work. He traded it in for a new VW so says the dealer. I've been emailing the dealer about it and they're willing to take $18,000 for it. The car appears to be in great shape. Checked carfax, has a clear title and everything. Paint has a few small scratches, but the interior is pristine. Does this seem like a good deal? Thanks for your response in advance.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't really comment on the price in your market...my first impression is that it's a tad high, but maybe not or maybe not much.

Long trips are very easy on the battery...and the engine for that matter. I would suspect the car is in very very good shape and would last a really long time. I'd have no concerns if it's been Toyota certified.

3. SCfromSC

SCfromSC I take my gas in a sippy cup

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    A 2007 with 60K miles? I'd try him out to see if he'll go down on the price. I'm not sure the vehicle is worth that price. Check out sites like Edmunds.com. But I also look at it from the perspective that I was able to purchase a new 2009 with no miles for $8000 more. I'm sure it was worth that for me, but it all comes down to what you want and if it's worth it to you. For me, I wouldn't buy it for anything more than $15,000 because of the mileage. But, that's me.

4. Mpress

Mpress Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your responses so far. According to Edmunds, the retail value for this car is $21,850 in my area. So compared to that, it seems like a good price. It's not certified used. It's not being sold at a toyota dealership so that could be why. Some dealerships in my area are charging $19,000 for non-certified 2004's with more than 70,000 miles on them.

5. p1cfl01

p1cfl01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OK, lets see. 60K in a year or so, that's over 30K a year, that's a lots of driving for a 2007. Yes, I too got a 2009 PKG# 3 for $8000 more. In a package I want, color and interior. The warranty is over and no certified Toyota. Most important, 0 MILES. Why did the guy sell it at the first place is always a mistery, but we not here to find that out, but if the car is driving perfect, why sell it. Sorry, but I always called a used car "someone elses headache" or else they will keep it. Pay the $8000 more and get a new one, it's all worth it and you don't have to second guess, it's a new Toyota with warranty!

Good Luck either way you go!