1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius with no servicing till 40k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mayank Jain, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Prius Chat,

I came wandering around, looking for information - and I fell in love with this community. So vibrant!
    Please keep it up.

I am a first time car buyer (new to US too). So please excuse the naive nature of my question.

I've been researching on used Prius and came across many used cars in which Carfax shows no servicing till about 40k mileage. I am assuming these were rental/fleet cars.

Question
    - How important is for a car to get serviced in those initial 40k miles? (ignore the rental bit for a sec)
    - If a 3rd party mechanic were to inspect (and okay) such a car, is it safe to move forward with?

Thanks!

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even if a third mechanic were to certify it OK, I'd as a matter of urgency replace the engine oil, and check if the inverter and engine coolants are OK, leave those alone.

We don't know theileage on the car yet.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If servicing (mainly oil/filter changes & tire rotation) were performed my the owner or an independent mechanic rather than a dealer then Carfax would have no record.
    It might be worth checking the VIN for recalls that need to be performed though.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The odd part is that by 2012, the Prius had free service for the first 25,000 miles. You would think that they would do "free".

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That depends. I took my 2017 in for the 5000 mile tire rotation & check. Based on that poorly documented experience, I chose to do the oil & filter change myself. If they lie about the tire pressures set (32 vs 39), can they be trusted with an oil change? They also said they did not check the battery because the Prius is different. Gen 4 (2016 & later) Liftbacks have the 12 volt battery under the hood like most other Toyotas.

Montgomery and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If oil and filter change (and tire rotation) are not considered service then fine. Prius is a Toyota. It doesn't need fixing monthly. If it didn't get an oil and filter change for 40,000 mi run away screaming! A mechanic won't be able to tell if no oil change caused damage, until it fails.

Pull the dipstick and look at the oil on it (if any). I've personally never left oil in that long but I'm told it will be black. If it's clear or honey coloured they did the oil and filter themselves and it's probably ok.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would run the V.I.N. through the Toyota Owners web sight and see if you can retrieve any service information. Also, consider that the vehicle had 2 years of free services. Someone had to reset the maintenance flag every 5 thousand miles. It’s unlikely that this was done without an accompanied service.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's very likely (well hopefully) a case of maintenance done "under the radar". That's our car: if you look on the Toyota website, it's a basket case, only been in for a few recall items. The reality: I've DIY'd all the maintenance.

DLC82SV, mygel and padroo like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    could be some lazy owners here and there who figure oil changes aren't worth the time if they are busy. not going to effect anything in the short run, but i'm not qualified to judge the long run in that scenario.
    it would seem that the most amount of wear would occur in a new engine, causing more debris in the oil, but i have no idea.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm more inclined to cast a dour eye on solely dealership serviced cars...

mygel, kc5dlo, scona and 2 others like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you think they would say they changed the oil, but didn't? or maybe not change the filter? or forget to tighten the drain plug? or overfill by a quart every time?:whistle:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah there's been a few horror stories here. There's pros and cons I guess. My main take away: you can't put too much weight on dealership maintenance record, could be good, or no.

scona and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dealership serviced cars tend to have this bit broken off, or nearly so:

upload_2018-2-20_10-26-39.png

Plus broken/missing fasteners.

kc5dlo, scona, Raytheeagle and 3 others like this.
  14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would think that being a relatively new car( low mileage), the previous owner/owners would have done their due diligence. It’s hard to say but I would be inclined to say that they did. Don’t get me wrong. There are fools out there that are incapable of even checking their own oil, let alone changing it. However, as I said, “ Someone had to reset the Maintenance flag”, either because of an annoyance or due diligence oil changes. Would I buy such a car? Sure...especially if CarMax sold it at a reasonable price and an extended drivetrain warranty was negotiated.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased my Prius with 29k miles. I looked up the maintenance and nothing was listed. I asked the owner and he said, "Maintenance? What maintenance? I changed the oil twice and it's due for another change now. That's why the maintenance minder comes on when you start the car. "

He had a point. As per the maintenance guide, there's not much to do even at 40k miles ( oil changes, rotate tires and check fluid levels, while changing air filters when necessary). So, I just followed the maintenance schedule and it was easy, even for a novice like myself. I have the transaxle fluid on my tdl, based on advice here, but haven't gotten around to it.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A full brake inspection is on the US schedule, every 30K miles or 3 years.

17. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought mine at 40K, the carfax indicated that the oil was serviced every 10K. Had no problems now at 119K. Getting ready for some serious DIY maintenance at 120K.:eek:

18. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you everyone for sharing your nuggets.
    Since I am a first time car owner myself, I am not sure if I can do a really good job at DIY stuff in my 1st year.
    I am now inclined more towards buying well serviced cars (specially because there are so many of them available) in the same price range.

This community is awesome. Thanks!

Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is not important at all whatsoever. These go to about 500K miles in many cases with original parts!

The only way it shows up on carfax is if it goes in to the Toyota dealership or another large shop that enters it into the carfax system.

There really isn't much to do besides maybe tires in the first 40k miles.

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oil & filter changes are important too. but they were likely done if the oil looks good.