1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Purchase Advice: Car garage kept but sitting idle for 5 years, likely rodent damage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by teal_prius, Jan 24, 2022.

1. teal_prius

teal_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm looking at a 2012 Prius Plug-in, Advanced trim that is in great condition and low mileage for the age (around 60k). However the last service report was from 2017, and I noticed rodent damage on the cable leading to the inverter, so I know it's had issues before. On a short drive, no codes came up and the car sounded fine overall.

What service is recommended when a car has been sitting idle for that long? I would be concerned about gaskets, fluids, and the battery system, as well as potentially wiring. They're asking 15.9k and I could easily see these adding up. Has anyone had to make these repairs recently in the Bay Area? What should I make sure gets checked out or replaced by the dealership on a pre-inspection?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rodent damage is probably covered under comprehensive insurance coverage, so make sure you buy full coverage insurance. If you're driving around and nothing is really wrong with the car, the rodent damage is probably not very severe.

If the car started up and drives fine after sitting 5 years, then I would think it hasn't really been sitting that long. In that timeframe, batteries would go bad, fuel in the car would also probably go bad.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder what the insurer would say about rodent damage that occurred before you bought the policy though.

The Critic likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In general, if you know how to splice wires together, as well as access wires by taking stuff apart this is a really minor issue. But if you don't know how to do that or not comfortable doing that and don't have a friend or honest local mechanic and you take a problem like that to a Toyota Stealership they'll likely look at you with dollars signs in their eyes and tell you they have to replace the entire wiring harness and will rip you off for many, many thousands of dollars.

5. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you looked up it's service history? You can do that using its VIN number on the Toyota website. Otherwise, Toyota (at least the dealership by me) is typically pretty thorough with their inspections. If you decide to pull the trigger I'd definitely get all of the regular scheduled maintenance done and change the oil.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that a good price out there? mine has 80k and only worth around 8k

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    West coast prices for used Prius have always been higher... And currently there's hardly any used Prius for sale compared to what it was like a couple years ago so prices are soaring!

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The battery is either about to fail, or its lifespan has been drastically reduced.

Plug-in batteries are a whole different animal than the normal HV batteries. Run away fast.

9. teal_prius

teal_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I'm going to reach out to my insurance and see what they say re: comprehensive when I could see rodent damage. The rodent damage wasn't on the car report so either it wasn't reported, or it wasn't bad enough that the mechanic would've had to report it. The car had been taken to an independent mechanic while it was in use. If insurance is okay with it I'll bring the car to the Toyota dealership for inspection as well.

As to whether it started right up - honestly I'm not sure and I'm still trying to get that information from the dealer. The tires looked in pretty good condition so I have to assume those were put on recently. So I wonder what else was reconditioned.

Anyone see any red flags from me feeling that the steering was a little bit stiff compared to my last PiP? Does that indicate anything is up with the power steering?

The price is decent for the area, since like you're saying PriusCamper, prices here have spiked. I paid in the region of 11/12k for my 2013 PiP only a couple years ago with 60k miles, and this one's sitting at around 16k.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    charge it up and see how far she goes on a charge

make sure you get a working evse, and 2 completely working fobs. and make sure the mechanical keys work in the drivers door.
    i would investigate what happens to lithium batteries that have sat for 5 years.

can't say about the steering, i have only ever driven mine. maybe the tires are low