1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

user defined function?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by zhonda, Oct 25, 2011.

1. zhonda

zhonda New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone know if the new prius V have a way to user customize a function and program it to a button on the wheel.

For example I would like a button to begin glide at any speed and remain gliding until touch either gas or brake pedal.

Is that possible, seems toyota website only talked about vehicle information with customizable settings, but not letting user customize or reprogram buttons on the car or on the wheel.

2. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This car has many customizable functions, but that sort of function isn't one of them.

I'm not sure what you mean by glide. To an average Prius driver, glide = coast and you can do that easily by taking one's foot off the gas.

3. zhonda

zhonda New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    By glide I do mean coast, pluse and glide (also called burn and coast) is what people call it, since this will be my first hybrid, I am learning new terms all the time myself.

Coasting is most efficient when the engine is not running, from I read online so far, in a prius if you taking one's foot off the gas, the car is not coasting, it will slow down by regen to battery. In order to coast, driver have to manipulating the accelerator (by pressing down just enough) to make the car coasting. Also if your speed is beyond certain number, the engine will not shut off (in coasting)

So if toyota let us program a button to start the coasting (and remain in coasting until we either hit the gas or brake will be very helpful). Say you are 1 mile from the highway exit, you can just hit the coast button, engine will shut off, you will just coast from 70 mph to 60mph. Or if you see a red light far away, you can just coast down from 55mph to 40mph (and hit the gas again when light turns green).

So a coast button on the steering wheel is much easier to learn and use than to try to just give enough gas and watch all the arrow shut down on the display. (So I can spend more time pay attention to the road than the colorful display)

Please feel correct me if I am wrong. (like I said, I am new to all this)

4. pvogel

pvogel '05 Five & '12 v

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think you'll need a button on the steering wheel to do what you want. Just take your foot off the gas, you'll coast until you hit the gas or the brake, exactly what you are looking for. If you want to occasionally add speed, hit the gas and watch the display right next to the speed (on my v at least) or "feel" the car about to kick on the ICE and back off before the energy meter gets to the midline where the ICE kicks in or before you reach that point in the "feel" (which you will learn over time).

Peter+

5. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    There are buttons in the armrest front area that control ev, pwr and economy.

6. pvogel

pvogel '05 Five & '12 v

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    yeah, but EV gets overridden by how you use the gas pedal.

7. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well they wanted a button to sustain it at will. That's not possible so what we have is the best there is. The car will go EV when it can if you push the button at lower speeds with a well charged hybrid battery. :)