1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

user manual question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kara722, Oct 30, 2007.

1. kara722

kara722 New Member

I bought my new prius about a month ago without a user manual :( now i have this light on the dashboard that looks like an exclamation point in parentheses (!) could anyone with a manual tell me what this means? thanks!

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It means you should take it to a dealer (or have them tow it if you can't drive it) and have them tell you what it means.

While you're at the dealer, tell them you need a copy of the owner's manual because that's standard issue with every new vehicle... unless by "new" you mean "used."

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kara722 @ Oct 30 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]532536[/snapback]</div>
    That is the tire pressure warning icon. It indicates that one or more of your tires has low pressure. Check all of your tires, if they are all okay, then reset the TPMS by pressing the switch under the steering wheel.

Tom

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You really really do need both the Owner's Manual and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. If necessary buy them online as downloads. The Manual is a little funky but it collects everything in one place, except for the recommended maintenance items. *They* are in the Guide. The Guide can pay for the entire download cost the first time you get the car serviced.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, it's possible that the Owner's Manual and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide are in a black or other color wallet and hidden in one of the numerous storage compartments in the car -- some of which are rather hidden themselves, e.g.:

1. In the front of the center console, there's a drawer that pulls out toward the dash.

2. In the lower glove compartment, there's a slot in the back that appears to be designed to hold the Owner's Manual & Guide.

3. In the cargo area there's the large covered compartment that holds the spare tire, jack, etc.

4. In the cargo area corner closest to the driver's side rear tailights, there's a small covered compartment.

Good luck.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also:

You can order the 2007 Owners Manual from your local Toyota dealer or by calling Toyota's Materials Distribution Center at 1-800-622-2033. The publication number is OM47568U. The cost is $15.99.

In the meanwhile, here's a link to the 2005 Prius Pocket Reference Guide (if the link doesn't work, let me know):

http://prg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/2005_Prius.pdf

You should also probably register at http://mytoyota.toyotaownersonline.com/ -- it's free. And you can get an online (but not a hard copy) Scheduled Maintenance Guide there, and other good stuff and information. It's where I found out about everything in this post.

Good luck.

Paulpie likes this.
  7. kara722

kara722 New Member

Thanks so much. I did find the quick reference guide which shows all the warning lights so I'll check the tire pressure today. I do have the scheduled maintenance booklet too.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Once you have the tires at a pressure you like (I recommend 40 front and 38 rear, others use up to 44 front and 42 rear), press and hold the TPMS switch just below the steering wheel. The lamp will flash. Release the switch and you're done. When any tire drops 25% or more from what they were when you operate the switch the light will come on, warning you there is a tire down.

Be sure to pressurize the tires when they are "cold" (you haven't driven within two hours). One way to do this is to pressure them all up to 42 PSI at a gas station, then next morning let air out until they are at whatever pressure you decide you like. Then set the TPMS as above.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kara722 @ Oct 31 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]532922[/snapback]</div>
    So for $15.99 for a new 2007 Prius Owners Manual from Toyota, and after inflating the tires (and adjusting the TPMS if necessary per David Beale's advice), you'll be all set! Happy endings are good.

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kara722 @ Oct 30 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]532536[/snapback]</div>
    Uhh... is it ((!)) or ((!))? If it is amber and located to the right of your speedometer cluster, then it would indeed be the tire pressure sensor as others have mentioned.

However, if the light is red on the left of the cluster, then this would mean your emergency brake is engaged, so you should check to make sure it is fully released. As a disclaimer, this is how it appears on the Canadian Prius (2006); US model cars often have a different parking brake light compared to their Canadian counterparts... B)

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In terms of shape:

Parking Brake warning should be an exclamation point within a circle, in parentheses.

Tire Pressure warning looks like an underscored exclamation point in parentheses: (!). What it is actually is a frontal view outline of an under-inflated tire with the sidewalls bulging/squashing on pavement (what looks like parentheses are the bulging/squashed sidewalls).

12. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kara722,

Check out: http://john1701a.com/

It has a wealth of info (Especially the Users Guide) and is a good read for new Prii owners.

Slide

13. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Tom,

That little compartment in the cargo area on the driver's side had escaped my notice until you mentioned it! I think I have found all the others!

Cheers,
    Ron.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 30 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]532760[/snapback]</div>