1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using a different display for the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Virodeath, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have read alot about people trying to tap into the Prius factory touch screen and was wondering what about piping that data into a different touch screen?

Viro

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That might be necessary, as the touchscreen is pretty low res.
    However, many of us don't want to have to add additional interfaces to our precious Prius. Where would we put an alternate screen that would be easy to reach/use and not seem obtrusive?

3. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am currently working on a console insert that goes in between the center console and the dash. My thoughts is this along with the center console could house a small microATX PC, all the little video/audio modules or IPod with upto a 8" touch screen while offering those components a safe shell shielded from the abuse of under seat installations or having to disassemble the entire car to have things mounted in the rear and hide all the cables running to the front. It is a work in progress as alot of shaping has to be done yet to get a nice flowing look.

I am also toying with the idea of a totally new center console made like a server rack system with adjustable slides for mounting, that is still in CAD under concept atm while I workout rail placement.

What sucks is I am going to have to actually buy all this stuff just to get mounting hole locations and sizing measurments.....

Viro