1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using a portable Garmin-type GPS in 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by web1b, May 24, 2009.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

Looking a photos I've seen, I think you could store a portable GPS under the center armrest, keeping it charged and plugged into the auxillary audio port at all times.

[​IMG]

When you want to use it, just pull it out and set it in the forward cupholder.

[​IMG]

No suction cup on the windshield required, and no constant plugging and unplugging of cables. Seems like it would pretty quick and easy. You get to take advantage of all the advatages of the portable units like automatic rerouting around traffic (I heard the XMNavTraffic in factory nav will display traffic but not automatically reroute nor adjust your ETA to account for the traffic), annoucement of which side of the street your destination is on, cheap and frequent map updates and so on not to mention the up front savings. Get a model with MSNDirect and that adds many more cool features like using a PC to wireless send destinations to your portable GPS.

The position would be low, but I've used a gps in as low of position and it wasn't a problem. You can easily take quick glances at the screen when a voice guidance direction isn't clear enough and rely on the voice guidance the rest of the time.
    When you need to manually type in a street address, pull over and do it or buy one of the models with voice control (the factory unit doesn't allow you to type in addresses while driving anyway).

[​IMG]

Has anyone tried this and is there enough space between the lid to close the armrest cover with it plugged in and sitting outside of the console without pinching the cables?

2. jeremiah256

jeremiah256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd wait to see what Coastal Etech comes up with. Their lockpick accessories for previous Prius models not only allowed unlocking the navigation screen so inputs could be made while driving, but also allow audio/video output to your nav screen from multimedia devices such as iPods, Zunes, DVD players and one would assume, third party nav units.

3. TempusFugit

TempusFugit Prius 06, IV 10 & four 11

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    --------
    I own the Garmin 855 which looks like your photo. I plug it in under the front of center console and it works great. Haven't tried to swash the cord inside the console cover yet, but that worked fine with the 2006. I haven't decided if I want to place a permanent disc, for mounting, to the dash yet, but it would work real well just to the right of the dash display. I have the onboard GPS in my 2010 but in my area it works very poorly. I am going to hold out awhile to see if Toyota will be releasing an upgrade.

4. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was thinking of having the cord run from the power outlet under the center console then up to the wasted space in front of the steering wheel. You could go under the floormat if you wanted it to the left.

5. web1b

web1b Active Member

If you leave any GPS mounting hardware in view, this will happen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So take the $1600 you will save and buy the bean bag mount and store it in the center console when you are not using it.

1 person likes this.
  7. mark68

mark68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The GPS unit needs a clear view of the sky in order to receive the signals from the satellites. The GPS signals easily pass through glass, but not through steel. That's why portable GPS units are usually mounted on the windshield. My guess is that if you put it in the center console, it would only work intermittently, whenever you got lucky enough so that at least three satellites would be at the proper angles for their signals to pass through the windshield or side windows to get to the GPS unit. Factory GPS units of course have an antenna on the roof of the car, so that the unit can be installed in the dashboard.

8. jeremiah256

jeremiah256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've used my cellphone with GPS in a low position (in the cigarette holder or what ever it's called) and not had any problems with reception in the various cities I've traveled. It's hard to believe a dedicated device would be less sensitive.

9. web1b

web1b Active Member

The models from at least the last 2 years or so don't need to be up in windows to get a reliable satellite signal. The GPS signal does work pretty well through metal and a low position (unlike satellite radio signal).
    I used a not so new Garmin C580 in the lower console of a Camry and it worked well, so I know it can work and the newer models are more sensitive than mine.

10. web1b

web1b Active Member

The 855 is on sale at Costco for $299 now. That is a great bargain for those who don't need the GPS to have bluetooth.

Costco - $299.99 after $200 OFF Garmin nüvi® 855 4.3" Touchscreen GPS

1 person likes this.
  11. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just wanted to update that this happened to my wife's car this weekend- Guess what they took?

The navigation DVD.

Cheaper to buy a Garmin than to replace the disc at the dealer.

[​IMG]

12. web1b

web1b Active Member

Interesting because some people buy factory nav so they don't have to worry about theft of a portable nav. Now people will look in your car and see if you have factory nav, break-in and steal the DVD.
    Pricing the DVDs at over $200 backfires and makes them a theft target of their own.
    These discs should be much cheaper or more reason to go to hard disk based maps.

Even if you buy a Garmin now, you may still get future breakins from theives who won't know you don't have the DVD map disc anymore.

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Would be a bit harder to do in the 2010 as the disc is located behind the screen vs. under the seat. I bet it'll take a few broken windows for any thieves to figure that out though.

14. priusinpdx

priusinpdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I just picked up my 2010 (III, no nav). I have played a bit with where to put a Garmin.

1) Center of windshield below the mirror. Due to the slope of the windshield, the Garmin was too far away to operate (without stretching. Getting longer arms is out of the question :))

2) Center of windshield between the mirror and the ceiling. Doesn't fit well and the suction cup won't stick to the brown stuff on the inside of the windshield. Can someone tell me what that stuff does?

3) On top of the dash to the right of the display. See #1 above. Too far away

4) Currently I have it mounted on the upper left corner of the windshield with the power cord running above the visor and down to the power adapator in the center console. Functional, but not easy to remove the unit and suction cup when parked.

Brian

15. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get one of Garmins "sandbag" mounts. Dont remember model but you can find them on the Garmin web page. They work great and you can set them anywhere on the dash. Also it makes it much easier to hide away when you park and dont want it seen. BTW some states dont allow stuff stuck to the winshield. I think mine cost $30 but it's been awhile.

16. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow that's a great deal. Seems Costco people don't care for the unit but on Amazon.com and other places it gets very good reviews.
    It sounds like the people buying these didn't buy the map upgrades. That's kind of a must with modern day GPS units.

17. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here it is at Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000LRMS66?tag=priuschatcom-20

1 person likes this.
  18. keNbo

keNbo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    California is one state that used to not allow sticking the GPS on the windshield. They altered the law to make it legal only if you mount it on either bottom corner of the windshield. It works well on the driver's side but why any driver would mount their GPS on the passenger side makes no sense to me. Regardless of the change, I still see people with their GPS mounted in the middle of the windshield. I guess it is not really enforced.

In any case, the bean bag is the way to go. I have an older mount that works just as well as the bean bag. As already mentioned, it's great because you can stow it away and no one will know the difference.

19. web1b

web1b Active Member

Why bother with trying to mount it on the windshield or dash when you can just set it in the cupholder next to the shifter? It will be at fingertip's reach and it will just take 2 seconds to move it into the armrest storage when you park and you won't have to mess with unplugging any wires or cables.
    [​IMG]

20. Berzerkeley

Berzerkeley New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I just got my 2010 II Prius in Blizzard Pearl and love it! The Prius came with Bluetooth (Factory installed), so I need a pretty basic Garmin Nuvi model. Any suggestions? There are so many to choose from--I'd like to get one for under $200 and would truly appreciate feedback on which models have worked for you all!