1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using auto AC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Fred Wacksman, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's becoming quite cold in SW Ohio, so I'm not sure of how to best use my heater.
    If I simply set auto AC and the AC button is on, does that mean that my compressor is always working?
    Is there a way to hit auto AC on the steering wheel and not have the AC button show the compressor is running, if that's the case, or do I have to go manually through the Climate button?
    I have a scantron and can see engine temps, what is the optimal time to have the heater start up, if I manually set and "un" set the auto AC?
    How do you use the auto AC and/or heater?
    Thanks,
    Fred
    [email protected]

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Set it on Auto A/C and adjust the temperature as needed. The term "air conditioning" refers to heating, cooling, and dehumidification. In the U.S. we tend to incorrectly use A/C to mean only cooling.

Your Prius is smart enough to run the A/C compressor only when needed, and then only at the required speed. The Prius A/C compressor is directly driven from a variable speed electric motor. It is very efficient.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, that was a record quick response. Thank you.
    So, you are saying to set it and forget it? My prius will be two years old in the spring and I've never thought about it until now, but I'm taking such a huge hit on mpg, I thought maybe it was the AC system.I think what prompted my question was the fact that the "AC button" in Climate mode was on and that the compressor was running when not needed for air conditioning.

4. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guarantee you that the compressor is not running in cold weather. Think of "air conditioning" as conditioning the air to make it comfortable in the cabin, not as cooling the air.

Your mileage is down because the engine has to run when it normally wouldn't (in warmer weather) to make hot water to supply the heater core to heat the air in the cabin. Set it and forget it, or, move to Miami.

1 person likes this.
  5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. Generally set it and forget it works well. The mileage hit you are experiencing is not from the A/C compressor. In fact, the A/C compressor can't run when it gets really cold. The major hit comes from making heat: heat for the ICE, the catalytic converter, and the cabin.

You can't do anything about the ICE or Cat, but if you are a real mileage nut, you can gain some mileage by keeping the cabin temperature on the low side.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Fred........good morning from sunny, cold Baton Rouge, LA!! It is currently 29 degrees and the bird bath is solidly frozen!! That's absolutely freaking cold for here!!

I had to change my mindset here, too, to the A/C concept. We only think "cool" here, not heat!! I am hoping to see the "snowflake" on the temperature display here. It supposedly shows when the temp/humidity is conducive to snow. We are not predicted to have any here but it is to be down to upper teens the next two nights.

I am a born and bred Cincinnati girl who totally misses Skyline Chili....only get it when I get back north.

Have a great day, stay warm and eat some chili for me!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Fred.......just double checked....my "09 does not have the snowflake thingy. Oh well, I was excited about the possibility. Just wanted to correct my misinformation....

8. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The snowflake melted after model year 2005...

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, but it will show a banner at 37°F. The banner pops up at the top of the MFD for just a second or two. Presumably it is a warning about potentially slippery road surfaces.

Tom

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I actually saw this once on my 2007. :D

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We don't see it very often. Usually it's too cold.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  12. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

we have very good friends that live in Lafayette and we go down every few years to visit.
    I don't eat a lot of Skyline, but I do love it and Greaters ice cream.
    Our La. friends are native Louisianans, Cajun and just the greatest. They had lived in Cincy for a number of years and my wife worked for the mister (Krogers) and we became fast friends.
    Fred
    :)

13. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Oh Fred.....you're making' me sad here!!! Graeters ice cream......probably the best ever!!

We live about an hour from Lafayette. Do you miss the cuisine here??? The food here is the next thing to heaven. When I come "north" to my daughter's house in Fort Wayne, I have to turn off my taste buds. It's all so relatively bland....but still good food. My daughter was born and raised here and cooks Louisiana dishes for her family.

Stay warm there.....we had 23 over night...it was below freezing since sunset last night....the worst in about 20 years for us...

14. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are you kidding? We love Cajun cuisine and I'm always looking for a place up here that does it, but there's nothing like what we can get in La., plus our friend cooks up a ton whenever we visit. Awesome.
    Heck, you guys are almost as cold as us. It's supposed to snow a bit more tonight and then temps will moderate. We're off to Puerto Valarta Friday morning and I'm looking forward to some warm sun.
    BTW, I did as suggested and put the HVAC in auto mode and it's fine. So thanks to all that responded.
    Fred

15. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hi all, I always had the same question as Fred has. Thanks for the answers. Now that begs the question, whats the difference between "AutoAC + AC On" and "AutoAC + AC Off" in the wintertime? My assumption is that there is no difference, and the button is only there for the summer time when you want AutoAC on but keep the compressor off. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

16. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Fred, Is there still a Copeland's Restaurant there??? That would help the cravings since Al Copeland really tried to incorporate the food of south Louisiana in his menu. He died last year, sadly.

You can get Tony Cachere's mixes and seasonings in Krogers as well as Zatarain's mixes. What you can't buy, you should be able to get on line. Also it's king cake time again here!! They make them year round now.

Enjoy your upcoming trip and stay warm. Eat some Graeter's for me some time, k???

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On cold, moist days AutoAC + AC On will run the A/C compressor as needed to dehumidify the air. This will help with moisture buildup and defogging. When the A/C compressor is off it can't do this.

Tom

18. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We do buy some of the seasonings, but it doesn't quite do it and we aren't afraid to use them.
    Copeland's shut down some time ago. It was sad, but it was one of those dumb business moves.
    They were doing fine with the original cuisine, then started playing with it, failed and then tried to make it an "American" restaurant, and that killed them.
    I'm always ready for Graeters, especially the mint chocolate chip and the raspberry chocolate chip.
    BTW, are you on FaceBook?
    Oh, and we leave tomorrow for Puerto Vallarta.:wave:

19. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    yes, I am....PM me and I will send you my email address/facebook name.....have a wonderful trip!!:)