1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using Bussman "Fuse Tap" in Fuse Box under dash for Radar Detector Install?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by ibmoses, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings!

Installing a Radar Detector in my 2013 Prius. Using a Bussman Fuse Tap (ATM Add-A-Circuit) to provide power by removing the 15amp fuse from the under dash fuse box and replacing with the Fuse Tap.

It seems the fuses Toyota use are "low profile" and have shorter blades than a ATM fuse....so I am kinda leery about shoving this Fuse Tap in the fuse box. I guess I am looking for some reassurance that it wont damage anything and is OK?

Any of youse guys use one of these Add a Circuits on a Prius?

The other issue is I will be forced to leave the cover off the fuse panel, it just snaps on and is really only to provide a legend of the fuse locations and I guess also to prevent something from getting accidentally stuck in there(very highly unlikely)

Thanks for any input.

2. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It should be fine. The fuse tap will stick out above the low profile fuses & you will not be able to put the cover back on. Looks kinda weird, but how often do you get under the wheel & look at your fuse box?

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have that exact setup now (mini ATM fuse tap in a low profile mini ATM fuse slot). It seems to fit ok without damaging the contacts.

I'm tapping power for my foglights and DRL relays using the same type of fuse tap you are asking about. I have the cover in the glove box.

I did eventually buy a low profile fuse tap, but never did change it out. The only disadvantage is, you need to have two different sizes of fuses handy.

4. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys, thats what ai was looking for-some reassurance.

5. BruceWonder

BruceWonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    kinda late reply as I just got my 14' prius v, but I tapped mine on the fuse box under the steering wheel. the only down side with this fuse tap is that you cannot reuse/close the fuse lid.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, stow the cover in the glove box in case you need to refer to it later for fuse location.

SCH-I535