1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using MPG is annoying...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BigRedDarren, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BigRedDarren

BigRedDarren New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...at least to a Canadian (who was born after the switch).

I occasionally see dash gauge pictures or avatars of members here showing their great economy, and I love seeing pictures like that, but it just seems so backwards to me. I just saw someone's avatar showing the radio display historical usage, and it was all maxed out, and I wonder if that's annoying at night time being too bright? Mine barely shows any info except the regen E's and a few occasional lines showing my fuel usage.

A lot of people in Canada still ask how many MPG the Prius gets, but I don't know because the odometer is in kilometers and I fill up with liters and I don't do that math in my head.

Any US owners wish they have L/100km?
    Or Canadian owners wish they had MPG?

It would actually be nice to push the speedometer button and change everything over just for comparison purposes when someone asks you.

EDIT: Oh ya, this is my first thread since owning the Prius. We got it about 1.5 weeks ago. :)

;D

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tell them "sixty six" :)

Seriously I'm thinking to print small conversion table and keep it with me - especially when surfing on Prius Chat :)
    More advanced option -units converter in mobile phone - either for Android or I-Phone there is a lot of stuff available.
    Edit: Congratulations of having new Prius :) !

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wished we had switched to metric. It's so annoying when I read car magazines that say, oh we got 17 mpg and EPA is 20. No big deal, only 3 mpg. Then they make a big fuss when they get 43 mpg in a Prius, 7 mpg off EPA of 50. When in actual percentage, they're the same thing. A switch to gallons per mile or liters per 100 km would fix this. And dont' get me started at work and all this non-standard conversion I have to remember for inches, feet, and yards. Ughhh... so backwards! 100 deg C is boiling. What is it in F? I have no idea. I don't even know how to spell out F. It's TOO HARD! :mad:

4. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Funny thing - Mr Fahrenheit was born in Gdansk - only 25 km (oops... 15 miles) from my place, but fortunately in Poland we use metric and Celsius. Except my particular case, since I use also nautical miles and knots :)

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think us Americans are the only ones not using the metric system. We are in our own world.

6. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As we - marine navigators - as well [​IMG]

7. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Aviation, at least here, is an odd mash-up of units. Altitude is in feet, speed is in knots, most distances are in nautical miles while others are in statute miles, air pressure is in inches of mercury, but temperatures and dewpoints are in degrees Celsius.

8. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep! Big hand for Aviators :)

9. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When someone asks me how large a piece of pie I want, I usually request about half a radian.

Richard

10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Almost as confusing as traveling Europe prior to the wide spread Euro adoption and converting you cash into the local currancy and trying to understand the local language. Geez.

AlinaH_RD likes this.
  11. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great!! :) it reminds me of... [​IMG]

ewxlt66 likes this.
  12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Didn't the "Gimli Glider" get it's nickname because somebody failed to accurately transmorgify pounds into kilograms???
    ^%$#@ aviators!!!....that's why I love to fly so much. :eek:

I remember my beloved Government trying to shove the metric system up our sterns in the 70's.
    It went over like a fart in church.
    Personally? I've done the plot-label-DR thing enough times and in enough places so that I can pretty much do the arithmetic gymnastics in my head, but there's something kind of satisfying about foots, miles, gallons, etc.
    It's like the left-hand, right-hand driving argument.

Dang liberals.
    Give them a millimeter, and they'll take a $%#@! kilometer. :D

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love it, I'm going to use that at the family Christmas dinner.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.

Even in the absence of going metric, at least flipping to Gal/100miles would still help out plenty of innumerate consumers.

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how about g/1000 miles?

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, I can't see US owners wanting L/100 km. Because of non-metric units being used universally here, L/100 km is TOTALLY meaningless here.

When those outside the US post figures like that, I have no idea if it's good or bad. I have to convert. It used to be a pain in the butt until (fortunately) a few years ago, I found that Google makes for an easy and quick converter (e.g. Google for 4 L per 100 km in miles per us gallon).

Just in the same way our odometer isn't in km and we don't buy gas in liters, L/100 km is worthless here. Nobody in the US has EVER asked me "how many L/100 km does your car get?"
    Yeah... that would be a good idea, given the sneaky illusion indicated at Car and Driver: Mileage? No, it's Your Gallonage that Really Counts | PriusChat.

Side note: I was taking an Energy Efficiency in (commercial) Building Systems class earlier this year. The instructor was involved in setting some standards before and I recall he and others wanted a small # to == better for that particular index. The reply was along the lines of "This is America. Bigger equals better..." I don't recall if they ended up flipping around that index. So, unfortunately, even w/o switching to metric, I think if "bigger is better" is the attitude... a measurement where smaller == better may not fly here...

So... to answer your post, to an American, NOT using MPG is annoying. :)

17. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they do have 10x our population. So asking 10 people to change for 1 is maybe too much. OTOH, the rest of the world uses metric........whatev.........just open up another tab and load up a conversion calculator.

Unit Conversions

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a trick that flip/flops between US mpg and liters per 100 km:

Divide either value into 235.2

Works both ways. Say starting with 5 liters per 100 km:

235.2 / 5 = 47.04 (mpg)

And:

235.2 / 47.04 = 5 (liters/100km)

The main hurdle is to remember that effing number...

Oh, and north of the border there's one group that love to quote mpg: car salesman. And cars up here seem to get miraculously good mpg. Not many catch on that it's actually miles per imperial gallon.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When someone asks me how large a piece of pie I want, I usually request half. Then I tell them they've given me twice as much as I asked for.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... that's another useless unit in the US. I've seen Canadians and Brits sometimes use those. Nobody here uses Imperial gallons. It's meaningless here and useless.

What's worse is that a bunch of clueless people (frequently diesel fanboys or others who complain "why can't we have blah car that gets (some large #) mpg from Europe?") have no idea or are intentionally excluding that the fact that it's larger Imperial gallons AND also quoting some mileage test figures on a FAR more lenient test than the US EPA ones. In short... apples vs. oranges.