1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using multiple charging networks

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Jim N., Jul 29, 2017.

1. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've seen in multiple places that Blink, Chargepoint, and EVgo each allow you to charge with an access card from any of the three, but I'm not finding how to make this work in practice. I have the Chargepoint card that was provided when I bought my Prius Prime Advanced, plus another I ordered from them for my wife. Last night, when I wanted to use a Blink charger, I tried tapping the Chargepoint card and it didn't seem to do anything, so I charged as a guest instead. What do I need to do to be able to use a single card with all three networks?

2. Team ChargePoint

Team ChargePoint Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi @Jim N., currently we show Blink stations on our maps as a convenience for drivers, however, you will need a separate account to use them. The ChargePoint card will work with our chargers. :)

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So what did happened to that deal which was widely advertised a few years ago about being able to use either card on either network? Did it just fall through?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is a hard problem:
    • Tesla makes a proprietary SuperCharger network in parallel with their EVs. Buy a Tesla and you are paying for the charging stations.
    • ChargePoint has a business model that appears to partner with clueful businesses who want repeat business and may have their own EVs.
    • Blink is fishing to find the desperate EV-only and empty their wallets.
    • EVgo is clueless, venture capitalists who don't have a clue about customers or service.
    So carry ChargePoint and emergency Blink cards.

If there were a form of bond or stock that would give me a discount or free charging, say $250-500 today with dividends being relief on charging, I would do it with ChargePoint.

The other two can go fish.

Bob Wilson

5. Team ChargePoint

Team ChargePoint Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi @CharlesH, I believe you're referring to the creation of ROEV. ROEV is an electric vehicle industry trade association created with the goal to enable charging network interoperability (maps, payment, etc), founded by ChargePoint, BMW, CarCharging/Blink, EVgo and Nissan! Interoperability is still in the works at ROEV, though you can stay up to date with changes and learn more about it at the ROEV website!

alexcue likes this.