1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using N

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nhalber, Jul 27, 2005.

1. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is probably a silly question.
    But twice when I have gone into a car wash, I have put the transmission is N mode, and the Battery started reading in the red zone.
    Is there a better way? Or is that normal?
    Also, how long you sit in car in acc mode and use the radio?

2. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

Try a search ... I remember a thread on the car wash topic within the last 60 days....

-Al

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

See! This is exactly why I am a proponent of putting the car in Ig-On to go to Neutral!

When the car is in N, the ICE can't charge the battery. If the AC is on, then it is discharging the battery. Also the 12V DC-DC converter is also taking charge from the HV battery, but I don't think it matters a whole lot, unless you have a lot of 12V accessories going on, like headlamps and a big bad audio amp.

The only other mode you can put the car in N is Ig-On. In any power mode out of READY, the HV battery relays are open so you can't be draining from them.

So, when having to go into N for an extended period of time, do so in Ig-On. That is, press the power button twice from Off when NOT pressing the brake.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've sat in the car in ACC and also in Ig-On (not ready mode) for 3-4 hours at a stretch before it complained. Complained that P-mode was broken or something and I should repark, but it was really just confused.

So anyways, that's 3-4 hours with screen on, audio on at volume 25, stock speakers, Kenwood subwoofer plugged in, cassette player being used. Looks like it still had enough power for a bit longer. Lasted about as long as my laptop.

YMMV

5. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, DanMan32 and NuShrike.