1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

using prius to power house electric grid

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by billem, Nov 7, 2005.

1. billem

billem New Member

Does anyone know if the prius can be used to power house during a black out/

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Yes, and no. Yes, it is capable, but no, there is no ready-made kit. Toyota has set up an experimental house, and other home hobbyists have made encouraging progress tapping into the High Voltage system, but you would have to modify the car yourself, and the modification isn't for the unknowledgeable or the faint-hearted.

As an alternate, some have experimented with getting 500-1000 watts from the 12V system, but that isn't enough to power a house. It may do a few small appliances, or an energy-efficient refrigerator.

Bottom line is, the car is capable, but no one has a robust solution that they are ready to sell you.

I've often advocated Toyota putting a circuit-breaker protected HV tap under the hood behind a locking connector. I could easily take it from there. :)

3. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    This issue is addressed exhaustively and entertainingly at http://www.priups.com/ . I sincerely hope that in future model years, Toyota will make this a dealer-installed option.