1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using Prius to power/pull lawnmowers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by littleprius, Jun 17, 2006.

1. littleprius

littleprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    When I use my riding lawn tractor to cut my lawn every week, it consumes one gallon of gasoline. What do you think of the idea of using the Prius as the power source to pull a tandem a series of manual lawnmowers? :unsure:

2. JEBster

JEBster New Member

Along those same lines, my wife and I enjoy boating, but hate filling up the gas guzzling boat. So, I tie a rope between the Prius and the boat, and tow the boat up and down the shoreline. I do miss actually being on the boat, but think of the savings!

(So sorry... Coudn't resist)

3. MichaelE

MichaelE New Member

Back in the 70's G.E. sold a battery-powered riding mower called the ElecTrak. It would mow a couple of acres on a charge, quietly and cleanly. I wish they still made them!

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Back in the 90's GM leased a battery powered car that would out-perform just about any gasoline vehicle on the road and travel 100 miles on a charge - quietly and cleanly. I wish they still made them! And didn't destroy the few that they DID make!

Oooh, but I digress.

I do not know, little. I think you're best off looking for a more efficient or non-liquid-fueled mower than trying to cob together your Prius for a job it was never intended.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(littleprius @ Jun 17 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]272706[/snapback]</div>
    Are you taking your medication? :unsure:

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  7. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(littleprius @ Jun 17 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]272706[/snapback]</div>
    Um, well, how big is your lawn? It takes us about 40 minutes to mow ours using one manual lawnmower, human-propelled.

Although my husband has tried to figure out a way to rig up several mowers to the back of an adult-sized tricycle.... :lol:

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]272807[/snapback]</div>
    Having driven an EV1, I'd like to know how you think they outperformed most, if any, gasoline vehicles on the road and what criterion you're using as "perform"

The Prius, for instance, could run circles around an EV1 let alone other higher performing full gasoline vehicles.

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    During the gas crunch dad got an electric mower. Basically it was a supped up weed wacker. Even used the plastic line. I had to hold 100' of power cord to mow our lawn. :p

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jun 18 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]273108[/snapback]</div>
    This isn't the best place to debate it...
    How about we use the most common metric? Zero to 60mph?
    My EV1 could consistenly do it in under eight seconds. Haven't quite been able to run circles around that with my Prius. Do you have a blower on yours?