1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using Remote AC button on Prius to warmup the vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by formanrobs, Oct 2, 2011.

1. formanrobs

formanrobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am a Prius newbie, but this is my third hybrid (Camry hybrid and RX 400).

I have a '11 Prius IV with solar panel and remote AC button on my fob. Not much good information on this in the manual. I'd like to use the remote AC button (assuming a charged battery) to begin the interior warmup and defrost process on cold mornings.

However, it seems that when I hold the remote button on the fob as instructed in the guide, it turns everything on in the car for a brief moment (5 seconds or less) as opposed to a full 3 minutes as the manual describes. Again, the battery is at least 3/4 to a full charge and the process begins when I hold down remote start, but it just turns everything of after a brief period.

Any ideas from other owners? Much appreciated

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason is that it's for cooling the interior only. That's why it turns off after a few seconds. It determined that the interior isn't warm so it shuts itself back off to conserve battery.

3. formanrobs

formanrobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. That seems to make sense. My dealer told me that it could be used to warm up the car as well. It wasn't the only bad bit of information I got however. Anybody purchasing a Toyota automobile from Antwerpen in Howard County should be careful about the information they give you. Might want to check things out first.