1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using SE/SS key on house front door?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Atoyot, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

I'm getting really spoiled by the SE/SS functionality of my Prius, and want to extend that functionality to my house front door. Anyone done this, or have any advice. I found a website http://www.thegadgethome.com/ that sells some various keyless entry systems, but I am unsure if any of them could be programmed to work with my Prius fob. I can't count the number of times that I grab my front door handle to my house and expect it magically open. Then I get irritated that I have to dig in my pocket for my keys.

Atoyot

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, a lot of the "rolling code" transponders out there are 40 bit TI chipsets, so nothing too exotic there. However, I don't think the radio frequencyis compatible.

The closest thing to what you want to accomplish is using the Prius Homelink system to interface to your home.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

Some of the RFID house door locks I've read about come with a transponder that's meant to be stuck to the inside of your cell phone - something most people carry with them every day. I would think you should be able to find one that might have a transponder small enough to perhaps attach to the prius fob - but I have no clue if there'd be any interferrence from the two, etc. I too have been quite interested in going this route - either this or a biometric fingerprint reader (which now sell for less than $200 for your house).

-m.

4. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

An alternative is the punch code locks (Weisner? makes one for $100). It works with two settable codes. That way, you can set a code for guests or contractors; and change it later. Using this, you don't have to worry about leaving a fob or cellphone or anything. You do have to push some buttons though. (Better than whipping out a key!)

5. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I lived at a place with a punch code lock. The only problem is that the punch keys may appear cleaner or dirtier or have a little more wear than the rest of the keys. A friend on mine was able to beat the system in about a minute. We only had a four key code. Just something to consider if you get this type of lock.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't remember where I saw it but a Classic owner had his Prius modified to have SKS. If he can do it, I'm sure it's possible for house locks too.