1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using the CarMD with the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by moshe1436, Jul 18, 2007.

1. moshe1436

moshe1436 Bought used.

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi -- Been reading up on the $90.00 carMD product. I'm wondering if it really works on all the "computer" systems involved in the Prius. All the reviews and descriptions of the product sound like it would be a great tool to have in your tool box and supposedly works on all vehicles built after 1996. I like the idea of printing out copies of the trouble shooting code to take to your mechanic so he doesn't rip you off! Any one out there had any experience with this on the Prius? Thanks. BTW info is available on www.carMD.com

moshe

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moshe @ Jul 18 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]480814[/snapback]</div>
    Moshe,

carMD is just a OBDII tester that relies on web support from that company. It may or may not work in your Prius as the Prius uses the newer CAN protocol that many of the low cost testers (like mine) do not support. CAN will be used on all new cars soon.

I suggest that you consider a slightly higher priced unit such as the ScanGuage2 ($150) or the very sophisticated CanView ($$$). Both are known to work well in a Prius.

JeffD

3. moshe1436

moshe1436 Bought used.

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [I suggest that you consider a slightly higher priced unit such as the ScanGuage2 ($150) or the very sophisticated CanView ($$$). Both are known to work well in a Prius.]

Jeff,

Thanks! This is the information I was looking for. I suspected carMD would not work well on the Prius. From looking at the ScanGuage2 it appears that it needs to be left attached and provides real-time data as you're driving. I'm not aware of any posts that talk about it's diagnostic capabilities, like what the carMD does for other cars. Does it provide that too and does it need to be attached all the time? Do you know if you can print out diagnositc reports from a computer? Many thanks.

Mo

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The ScanGauge II does not have to be hooked up at all times to scan for error codes. However, then codes must be registering when it scans, otherwise it won't catch them (obviously). Check here for more information about what it can do.

At this time, there is no way to get the information from the ScanGauge to a computer. Well, there's the hard way - copying it by hand.

Let us know if you still have questions.

5. moshe1436

moshe1436 Bought used.

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Jul 18 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]481093[/snapback]</div>

Thanks -- you've answered my questions -- looks like the right item to own.

Mo

6. KAB

KAB New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Absolutely! CarMD works with the Prius. It's designed to work with all 1996 and newer cars, light trucks, SUVs and minivans that are driven in the U.S. -foreign and domestic. It's also got C.A.N. coverage, which is required on newer vehicles. You can usually find the Prius' CarMD / OBD2 connector under the dash on the right side just to the left of the center console. It should be uncovered. The great thing about CarMD is it's under $100 yet still as powerful as the more expensive tools. You can use it to catch hidden engine problems, solve check engine mysteries and even find problems that could be harming the environment and your emissions output. Plus, it's the only product of its kind that comes with PC software that will tell you what's wrong and how much you should fairly expect to pay for repairs. An awesome deal for under $100!

7. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    KAB,

I see on the CarMD website that they have, or soon will have an office in
    Nevada.

By any chance, do you have any connections/affiliations with CarMD, its parent,
    or subsidiary companies?