1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using touch screen while driving

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by selftitled10, Feb 18, 2008.

1. selftitled10

selftitled10 New Member

My family just bought a new 2008 #5 prius and the only thing that I can't figure out is the touch screen. Certain features can only be accessed when at a stop. Since I'm a passenger I should be able to use the touch screen while the car is in motion. Is there any way to disable this?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Officially there is no way to defeat this. Evan has given you some ideas to work around the issue, but Toyota has chosen to steer clear of legal shoals by disabling many of the features while the vehicle is in motion. That way they can't be blamed when some inattentive driver rear ends a school bus while playing with the MFD. It's a bother. I say take the bad drivers out back and shoot them, then let the rest of us get on with it.

Tom

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The best work around on the '08 seems to be the voice commands...they've been expanded well beyond what I have on my '04 and most people seem to be able to use the dial by number and search nav by address using the voice entry.