1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Utmost Faith in Toyota Hybrids

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Schmika, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I figure I am a pretty average consumer. Maybe a little greener than most (as in environmentally concious). Maybe a little more "on the edge" in that I will spend a little more money on "cutting edge" while many wait for "proven" technology.

Anyway, I figure that people are going to rapidly go for hybrids. I also think that they will go for the "Toyota" philosophy as opposed to Honda or the big 3. Toyota thinks so too.

Anyway, all that being said, I bought $5K in Toyota Stock today.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!! Just another way to make up for the "hybrid" premium.

I'll be RICH....RICH I tell you!!!!!!!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does that mean every time I mention Toyota I have to pay you royalties now? Now that you have the inside track, keep us outsiders in the loop, okay?

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

No Royalties and I will remember all the "little" people when I make my BILLIONS!!!!!

Of course, now I will be rooting for gas to go up (creates demand) and I hope that ALL other hybrid plans flop.

Also, slow down on alternatives like fuel cells.

It is scary because the last time I moved away from funds and bought a particular stock (FATS) I was burned badly. Stock went from 13 dollars to about 5 dollars in 6 months and is now a junk stock. (I sold at 5 and considered myself lucky) Of course, that was an IPO and this is proven stock.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Good Luck !
    I sold my Toyota stock when it hit $100. The company is wonderful, but the stock is overvalued IMO.
    OTOH, I am quite happy to sit on my Honda stock for a couple of years. I figure it is good for 15% annual appreciation.

My best investment (hoping, at least) is wind. I bought in after the majority of private speculators and 'growth managers' had fled, after funding the companies :). I expect ~ 300% returns in the 3 - 5 year timeframe.

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck! It's been a while since I've made any individual stock investments when I think that a company is poised to make it big. Toyota should have a program for car owners who don't have the upfront cash to accumulate shares through a monthly payment without a broker fee.

6. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Remember: the Prius depends on gasoline too. If gas becomes too too expensive, then all-electric cars will take over - if we're allowed to own and drive any private vehicles when oil becomes that hard to get and valuable.

Do NOT purchase IPOs!
    To quote a stock valuation lecture: "If you can get into an IPO, it's an IPO you don't want to get into. Companies hire out investment banks to go and rally up institutional investors with billions of dollars to invest in their IPOs. If the investment is good, mutual funds, investment banks, and other institutions will fully buy all of the shares sold at an IPO. If it's a bad investment, mutual funds, investment banks, and so forth will not invest in the IPO; this leaves unsuspecting, innocent individual investors like you, me, or any other average Joe who may be deemed gullble enough to invest in such garbage IPOs. Save your money."

Did some number crunching for you.
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/ir/stock/outline.html
    Number of shares issued: 3,609,997,492
    Number of shareholders: 352,029
    Fiscal year ends March 31
    Listed on the NY exchange

Schmika, you have become part of an elite group. Really, 352,029 share holders is not many for a large publically traded company. Most are, of course, humongous mutual funds and banks, which might be what you'd expect with a thriving company.
    Each share holder owns an avg. of 10,255 stocks.
    There are only 174 foreign individuals who own a unit of 100 or more stocks.

The stock lost some ground between 2000 and the middle of 2005 but has made a strong comeback since the middle of 2005. The price of the stock is continuing to climb.

Calculated the P/E (price of the stock against earnings per share), using the 2005 annual report*. P/E = 11.23. The industry standard is at 14.7, according to Reuters.
    This means that Toyota stock may be undervalued within the automotive industry, in other words, a good buy.

Also looked at the P/CFO (price of the stock against cash flow of operations per share). Cash flow of operations measures how much money a company is making (or losing) within it's sales and costs of operation. P/CFO = 6.08. Industry standard is at 4.9. In other words, Toyota was more profitable than most of it's industry mates. (But in all fairness, I think GM is dragging these avgs. down!)

Profit Margin. Here's a place where Toyota shines at 7% vs. 2.5% in the industry.

Return on assets, a measurement of management efficiency, very nice at 5%. Industry std. at 2.4% This means that Toyota management makes the company's assets work hard at generating returns. 5% is good in ANY industry, especially so in automobiles.

Return on equity is not drop-dead wonderful at 13.6% but still better than industry's 7.8%

Toyota's continuing investment in research is impressive. Shows an eye for the future. http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/ir/financial/high-light.html

*http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/ir/library/annual/2005/

I guess the bottom line is, would I purchase Toyota stock?
    Have been considering it but the monies (mine and my husband's) that were set aside for long-term holdings are in J&J and Pepsi. I'd have to sell those and then transfer those bucks to Toyota. Just too lazy, I guess. Also, neither of us knows diddley about the automotive markets, other than we love our Foxy. Hmm. Just on the basis of that affection, I should be putting ALL our retirement money into Foxy's mother-company. :rolleyes:

If you have important monies invested in any stock, not just Toyota, please consider setting a "drop" price. That's the price at which you want an automatic sell. Of course, the drop price will be higher than what you paid and enough so you'd get a happy return on your investment. You might wait to set the drop until after the stock has risen too high and you expect it to begin coming down. That way, once it hits that point, it is sold and you are protected from any further declines. And would have still made a nice return on your investment.

In other words, develop an investment strategy if you haven't already done so.

If the money you put into Toyota is "play" money, then feel free to just watch the price go up and down and enjoy the ride! Sorta like watching a football game on television.

7. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Don't be too greedy. Set a point at which you'll cash in your chips and walk away from the table.

You know what they call folks who use the rhythm method of contraception - parents!

Greedy investors who similarly allow their emotions to carry them away, are called suckers. Do NOT fall in love with any company's stock!

8. Spunky

Spunky New Member

d

Do you happen to know the P/E historical avg. of the Tokyo Stock Exchange (is it the Nikkei)?

9. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Opps! EricGo was probably right to sell at $100.

Went back to today's numbers, instead of those from the annual report, and they bring the P/E up to above industry standard. Experts are recommending "holds", not buys, of Toyota stocks.

We missed the boat, looks like EricGo got off at the right time.

Still a good company and the price of the stock MIGHT keep rising but it seems to be overvalued over $100.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

weeelll .. if the experts agree with me, that is a worrisome development.
    If I were to buy Toyota stock now, it would be with an intent to keep for years.

If Detroit has a good quarter, Toyota stock may drop a fair amount. I would buy then.

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Well, it is sort of play money...I don't need it for anything and if I lose it, I would only cry. My MINIMUM time I will hold this stock is 13 more years, so in that regard, I am good.

Spunky, thanks so much for that analysis. What pushed me over the edge was Toyota's decision to buy subaru and start building the Camry's right away in Indiana rather than building a new plant or expanding in Kentucky and waiting 2 years to start.

A lot of my stuff in the O.P. was tongue in cheek. I max out my Roth's, have a mutual fund I drop money in automatically every month,a nd my DW and I have good public pensions in the future.

I dropped 5K 2 years ago into a company a fellow worker started and own 2.5% of that company (though it still has not turned a profit....but that is normal)

I plan on becoming conservative (financially) when I hit 60 years old.

All electric cars are a LONG way off from becoming feasible for the mass consumer. The FIRST thing people will do (people like me) will REDUCE their dependence on gas.

Look, the Prius gets a little over double what my other cars got MPG wise, so, when I see gass even hit $4, my mind will say it is $2 in current money. I think a lot of people will see it that way for the next 10-20 yrs.

At least, that is what I am betting on.

12. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Cramer was pumping Toyota's stock. Buy best of breed was the advice. I like Toyota, but didn't like the PE. I bought Tata Motors (TTM) instead. It's gone up about 8 pts. since and I'm a happy camper.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would love to invest in Toyota stock but Big Caps simply move too slowly. my rule, dont invest in stock that costs more than $20 a share and is from a company that does more than 5 billion in revenue. (actually a better target is 2.5 billion but i do have exceptions)

AND

leave the speculation to the experts. there are many investment options where mutual funds can be steered towards certain investment types. JANUS small Caps mutuals is a good option