1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UV protection on all windows?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by db626, Jun 9, 2010.

1. db626

db626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm thinking about getting the windows tinted to add some UV protection to protect the interior upholstery. I assumed that there is no UV protection on the windows since Toyota specs seem to imply that only the windshield has UV protection. Is this the case or does the left, right, and rear windows all have UV protection?

Thanks in advance!

2. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The prius as far as I know does not have any factory window tint on the side and rear windows. That little bar on the back is the exception. For tint if your just going for UV protection I think you can get as little tint as 75% to achieve this. 50% is normally what you see as factory tint on some car. While it may not be dark it still offers 99% UV protection. Here are some examples of 35%. This is my car post #17 http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...s-modifications/80792-c-tinted-windows-2.html. Be advised the front quarter windows were not yet tinted in this picture so if they look clear its because they are : ).

3. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With my tint I noticed a big change. After I did the tint the Drivers side front window needed to be redone. So they stripped the tint off of it and had me drive around for a few days rolling it up and down as much as possible. There was some stingy glue that needed to be worked off in order to apply the new tint. Anyways, without just that one window I noticed a big difference. The sun seemed to poor in that window right on me and was much warmer than with it was without the tint. The general temperature of the car seemed warmer. I actually lowered my AC to compensate. So if your going for just UV then factory I suppose is adequate. IMO the tint makes a huge difference for temperature as opposed to the factory. As for me I will be tinting all my future vehicles, Im sold.

5. db626

db626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That link is great DMVP.....now you guys really got me thinking as to whether or not its worth it. I'm in CA so lots of sun but weather is usually nice. Might vouch for no tint!

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. db626

db626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it sure is but that's the same resource DMVP provided in post #3...thanks anyways! Cheers!

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    oh, yeah. ok but mine's direct. :D