1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UV protetion for Polycarbonate Headlight housings?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dave M, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Dave M

Dave M Junior Member

Greetings,

New Guy here. I am concerned about the deteriorating effects of UV rays on the polycarbonate lenses of the HID headlights. I'm hoping to avoid, or at least forestall, the dreaded yellowish fog that so often clouds such lenses with age. Do any of you wise and resourceful veteran Prius owners have any suggestions? I don't think wax is enough to protect my new '05 black pkg 6.

Thanks,

Dave M

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:4ef7085fdb]First, Congratulations on your new Prius! Welcome to the club! :party:

While Keats said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" you might want to look at some protection for your lenses and expensive HID headlamps to keep them beautiful, such as these or a similar paint/lamp protector (see lots of threads here about clear bra, etc.) With a Black Beauty, you might want to consider protecting the paint too.

After some further reading here I came across reference to 303 Products which look like a good UV shield.

I hope this helps.[/font:4ef7085fdb]

3. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    303 kicks! I've been using it for about 13 years. I have yet to find a better product!

4. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah 303 Aerospace Protectant is the best. Use it on all plastic, inside and out. I apply to the exterior lights and plastic trim after every wash. It also keeps wiper blades like new for years!

Don't use wax on plastic or rubber, it's bad for it.

I also found PlastX by Meguiars great at buffing scratches or dullness from clear plastic lenses. It's specifically made for it. Use it, then coat with 303 for maximum protection.