1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

V formation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Aug 3, 2007.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [attachmentid=10361]
    [attachmentid=10362]

Source:

So, why do they fly in this particular formation? Over the years scientists have came up with theories of why migratory birds such as geese fly in a V-shaped formation. A study done sometime back also shed some light on this particular V formation. This study discovered that birds flying in a V format had lower heart rates than bird flying alone. Why? The aerodynamic V shape formation reduces the air drag (air resistance) that each bird experiences when in flight in comparison to a bird flying solo. This allows them to cover longer distance (thousands of miles) with much less effort. For example, geese can achieve a greater distance of about 70 percent when flying in groups than each flying solo, using the same amount of energy. In this formation, the bird in the lead position will experience a greater air resistance and will have to work a little harder, however, when the lead bird is tired it falls out of position and goes behind into one of the V position lines. Another bird from behind will then quickly move forward into the leading position thus, maintaining the V formation. The same happens for those birds in trailing positions especially those at both extreme ends of the V formation, since they tire more quickly than those in the middle. This cycle continues as they travel to their destination.

Birds and fighter jets do it. Why not hypermilers or even normal commuters?

In the future, I envision many drivers aware of this and cooperate on the highway. I suggest drivers using a peace sign forming a V with the index and middle fingers to show interest and initiate the V formation.

Since not every highway has 3 or more lanes to form a V. I am going to use P to indicate a car (Prius). I come up with the following:

One lane - simply drafting

P
    P

Two lanes - two possible position

P
    _P

_P
    P

Three lanes - different configuration with numbers of cars

_P_
    P_ P

_P_
    P_P
    P_P

Four lanes

_P__
    P_P_
    P__P

Five lanes

__P__
    _P_P_
    P___P

This practice may not be practical in public highways but the potential for a mutial benefit (synergy) is there. 70% is a very big gain not to tap into this law of nature.

Attached Files:

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This made me picture a futuristic sci-fi world where the HOV lanes are turned into autopilot lanes. Each car would have a transponder which would communicate with the surrounding cars and the highway. The highway would use information on the amount of traffic to determine the correct formation to use. When a car gets on the entrance ramp it would get assigned a lane based on it's ultimate destination. The highway would slow the cars in the right lane down just enough for the new car to pop into place. After that, cruise control is engaged and you're car maintains a fixed distance from the surrounding cars.

3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have noticed this in my few moments where I gave in to the temptation to draft-- one of the sweet spots is in the lane beside a tractor trailer with the front of the Prius within one car length of the back of the trailer. It would be great if your hand signal would become universal, or at least national!

PA P

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Aug 3 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]490002[/snapback]</div>
    Because they aren't trying to develop lift. For simply lowering drag, straight drafting works better. Look at bicycle racers for a good example.

Tom

5. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Aug 3 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]490002[/snapback]</div>
    I do understand that birds do fly a "V" formation for greater efficiency but we never flew formation to decrease fuel flow for the wingman(s) jets. It is done for pilot proficiency (flying wing requires intense concentration) and also to "fool" early warning systems into thinking only one attacker is approaching when in fact numerous aircraft are approaching the target.

When approaching your lead, flying with the lead, and breaking off from lead you ALWAYS stay clear of any turbulent air from the lead. You are always in "clear" air. Flying through your leads vortices at 360 kts tends to break and bend things (er, like wings). It's no fun trying to explain to the Skipper why you bent his 26 million dollar airplane.

Rick
    #4 2006

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Methinks usbseawolf2000 is mullet fishing.