1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

V505, V525, V600 AT&T or Cingular???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Oct 6, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, less than a month left on my current T-mobil contract with my T-610 (which I do not like--the phone or the service (mostly due to BAD coverage in my area)).

I need a replacement BT phone. I don't need a lot of other features as I use my cell phone...wait for it....as a PHONE (novel, cutting edge I know) I don't IM, I don't e-mail, I don't take photos (ok, I do, but I don't do anything with the worthless little jpgs), I don't want it to be a PDA, I don't play games on it or keep my schedule or anything like that. I prefer a smaller clamshell (old school flip-phone) mostly b/c those with buttons on the outside tend to get bumped and I like the more compact carry size but more comfortable long 'use' size.

I'll almost certainly need a GSM phone. T-mobile's coverage in my area and in North central Arkansas where I frequently travel is poor or non-existant. As far as I can tell Cingular and ATT Wireless have the best GSM coverage for my most traveled area. (If you know I'm missing one PLEASE tell me).

So, those are my basic criteria. Secondary, but also important are ease of use/compatibilty with the Prius. I have several hundred phone numbers in my phone book and do NOT desire uploading them to the Prius one at a time. I would prefer the phone ring through the car or both the phone and car (but this is not all that important). I want good (not OK, good) sound quality and reception.

The V505, V525, and V600 seem to be good options that might suit my needs (but I don't know if I can upload more than one number with the 500 series ones). I can't find info on the Motorola site about the 500 series ones making me wonder if they're out of date or something.

There are some 6680 and 6620 phones that look ok (other than outside buttons/non flip, and if they are clearly superior phones I could go for them.

I need some guidance. I reviewed the chart and like the looks of the v600 from AT&T (since Cingular's essentially quit them due to incompatibility issues with the 850hz signal).

Anyone want to talk me out of that?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well ATT WS is switching over to GSM and TDMA is just about die. But they dont discontinu.
    GSM getting much better than 3month ago.
    Motorola V600 has discontinued.... Replaced with V505 which special desing for ATT WS thats why no infor at Motorola website. My father own second V600 and now work great, First one died 2 month after he got it.
    Personaly I alwasy hate Sony Ericsson because poor battery capcity.
    Myself I have Nokia 3120(in U.S) which no BT but do the job for me. (I pre order Nokia 6630 in Japan).
    Nokia 6620 is one sweet phone. I would love to get one :mrgreen:
    Nokia 3620 is not that great keypad is hard to uses.
    If you worry about touching the buttons just use botton lock it. I have been buying Nokia phone past 5yrs and I love it. I stick with Nokia

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the links and info guys. Looks like the V505 with ATT WS might be the way I need to go. I'd prefer Cingular due to the plethora of shops in the area (convenience) and a better rate plan (1000 NW AT min. with roll over compared to ATT with only 450min NW AT free N/WE), but honestly I only use about 100 min. per month anyway.

Hopefully ATT reception is good at my house.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"43867)</div>
    Cingular is in the process of acquiring AT&T Wireless Service.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, due to a lack of solid information and a $250 rebate only available until the 20th I've decided to go ahead and order the v505 now. I 'make' $75 after rebates on The phone at Amazon.com when bundled with a 2 year ATT WS contract. (I got the Nationwide 400min).

Hopefully my wife won't kill me for doing this before my T-mobile contract expires, but I don't really care about switching my number over since it's a crappy number anyway. And, I want some time to do the transition (moving phone numbers, assuring compatibility with the Prius, etc.). I've heard from one other person over at Priusonline.com that says the v505 works great, but when I asked him for details he's failed to respond.

I'll most certainly give a full update once I have the phone up and working.

8. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, men... I wish know this deal before I getting my new phone :cry:

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Speedracer\";p=\"45064)</div>
    It's "Oh man", but we get it. :wink:

For others interested, the I went with the Amazon deal even though the National plan only gives 400 anytime minutes compared to the Intelinet Wireless deal which required less upfront money but you had to deal with 3 different rebates instead of just two and you got a little bit more money back on the Amazon deal. I used Intelinet for my T-mobile Ericsson T-610 phone and they were fast and reasonable to deal with and they have almost any phone you want for free or very cheap.

10. rickkulp

rickkulp New Member

I've been playing with my new AT&T Motorola V505 this afternoon. It seems to work great with my '04 Prius.

• I'm pleased.

Rick Kulp
                Chicago

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Rick,
    I'm anticipating getting my phone mid-next week. From what I can tell we will be stuck with the one-number at a time upload....too bad.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

13. rdverb

rdverb New Member

Be sure to turn the BT on in the V505. After initial setup, Priius finds V505 within about 10 sec after turn on. Sound quality is good.

I chose V505 as the only clamshell BT phone available. I don't use the bells & whistles - just the phone, ma'am.

AT&T swears up & down they share towers with Cingular (GSM) and the one Cingular shop I asked said the same thing ... even before the close of the merger.

One other thing ... AT&T offers a 30 day trial period, so check it out from every location that's important to you. That's why I switched from Verizon - no coverage at my place in the mountains.

Rick - Monterey

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went back out, did the exact same routine (after charging the battery back up a bit) and it worked perfectly the second try. I don't know if the BT quit due to a low battery or what.

Good news is that the phone list from my SE T610 still works with the v505, will just have to upload the few new numbers I have.

Have you gotten the voice dialing to work through the Prius?

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and they do share towers with T-mobile and Cingular I think...I saw both of those names on the screen this weekend as I traveled in NW Arkansas (Hogs lost to GA).

16. rdverb

rdverb New Member

They probably share GSM with anyone that has them outside their own network. With the right plan, you're not hit with "roaming."

I haven't gotten around to uploading all the phone numbers yet so haven't experimented with voice dailing through the Prius. V505 voice works fine.