1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VA Gov just signed bill to Repeal VA Hybrid Fee

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Feb 26, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On WTOP radio, on this morning's Ask the Governor Show, new VA Governor Terry McAuliffe surprised us by signing the Hybrid Fee Repeal Bill on the radio show.
    • The $64/yr VA hybrid fee is gone, and those who paid get a refund*. :)
    • Electric vehicles still have the $64/yr fee which represents state gaso tax avoided compared to a 25 MPG car doing 15000 miles/yr (approx).
    • This has been an awkward issue (for hybrid owners and PriusChat) because there is no political advocacy group defending hybrids in the USA. Thank you to those here who helped with moral support, and signing various petitions that were circulated.
    * NOTE: I am trying to clarify with elected officials who gets the refund. The Gov was a little unclear on this. So far those I asked are not sure on that. The way the Gov said it on the radio, sounded like he was saying refund to those who prepaid for future years, but maybe not retroactive I inferred.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Refund - see below - sounds like those who register between July 1, 2013 and July 1, 2014 still pay the fee. If you pre-registered for 2 or 3 years in advance, then you would get the refund for the years after 7/1/2014.

If you were following PriusChat, some of us registered 3-yrs in advance *before* the new fee went into effect. So we got out of the $64, but don't worry I lost $64 too: I made a donation to state delegate leading the repeal petition.