1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VA: Should I get real tags or 30 day tags?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chris_b_01, May 11, 2004.

1. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

I have not received "the call" yet.... but in anticipation, I have a question about tags in Virginia

Most of the dealers around here are hooked up to the Virginia DMV. Times I have purchased vehicles in the past I get "real" permanent plates immediately.

BUT

I want to get the Low Emissions special plates so I can go HOV lanes

So, do I get the dealer to give me 30 day tags? Or do I get him to put on the real plates, and then order my special plates?

Is there a fee for the dealer to give me real plates?

If I get 30 day tags, will it be cheaper at the dealer?

thanks

Chris

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

I wasn't given a choice that I remember - they just put on the 30 day temp plates. I think that unless you want special plates, they give you the permanent plates - I do not know if it's any cheaper or not with the temps.

To get the Clean Special Fuel plates though, you can't just go to any DMV - you need to fill out an application and send it to the main branch of the DMV - they approve it (I assume with the VIN) and mail the plates out.

Hope this helps!

-m.

3. jkaplan

jkaplan New Member

It took a while for the dealer to get me my real set of plates. But what was more important is the title. You need a title number in order to send in the information for the "Clean Special Fuel" plates that you so highly desire. I received the CSF in about a week after faxing in my form.

On a side note, and I plan on starting a separate thread, is the need for VA citizens to contact their representatives in Richmond to attempt to get the HOVE exception continued beyond 2005. Seems that LOTS of slugs are contacting them to get the exception canceled.

Contact your legislator at <http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy/constinput.asp>