1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vacation for two months: Battery concern

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by B2FiNiTY, May 10, 2013.

1. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be leaving my precious c behind for almost two months while I'm on vacation.

I currently live in an apartment and don't have anywhere I can hook up a battery tender directly to the car.

However, I'm thinking I can remove the 12v battery from the car and keep it on a tender inside my apartment and when I return, all I have to do is reinstall the 12v and start it up.

Any other suggestions? Seems like the 12v will be dead when I return.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds good, if you have a plan to open the doors without a battery.

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How about a key? You know, the metal kind you stick in the door handle? I thought even smart key cars still had a manual lock for accessing the car in dead-battery situations. My C2 has a keyhole in the driver door handle, do the higher trim levels not have this as well?

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a plan to me! I know the Liftbacks have no easy way to open the back hatch, but a c will only need the rear passenger door.

5. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm confused. My C2 has a keyhole in the driver door handle and in the hatch, no where else... certainly none of the rear doors or passenger doors.

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps I am confused, but I think you need the rear passenger door open to put in the 12 battery you take out to keep charged. That is MUCH easier than a Liftback or a v, where you would have to open the hatch from the inside.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In a dead battery scenario in a liftback you use the key to open the door, pop the hood, and jump/charge from the terminals there. Once connected to a 12v source everything operates as normal even the electronic hatch release. No need to crawl around back there unless you enjoy gymnastics.

RocMills likes this.
  8. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The 2012 Prius c does not have jumper terminals under the hood. They were introduced earlier this year, but are also not on 2013s produced before that.

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But it is the same concept. Attach jumpers from under the rear seat and you can open the electronic hatch release.

10. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Except, being a c, you don't need the hatch release to deal with the battery anyway. This confusion is steming from the different 12V battery location in a liftback (where it is accessed via the cargo area). For a C with a flat battery you open the driver's door with a key (on the C3/C4 models you just pop the mechanical key out of the transponder and use that) and then I guess reach around and unlock the rear passenger door and open that up to access the 12V battery under the seat.

So to back this up a bit, for the OP wanting to remove their 12V battery while they are away, they just need to think about:
    • Locking the car without remote or central locking
    • Unlocking the car without remote or central locking
    • Being mindful of what gets reset when the 12V battery is disconnected
    Locking the car should be fairly straight forward. Unlocking, as above, they just need to use the key and then reach around to unlock the rear door from the inside.

Finally, in Section 2-2 of the manual it does mention what gets reset when you replace the 12V battery, namely:

It's also worth reading the section on the 12V battery in the DIY Maintenance section (4-3) and the "If the 12-volt battery is discharged" part of the Steps to take in an Emergency section (5-2).

11. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here's an update. About to leave for vacation soon and got everything out easily. A few 10mm nuts and a 12mm took care of the battery.

Attached Files:

12. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Realize your close to leaving but they make solar trickle chargers that sit on your dash inside the car for extended vacations that plug into your lighter socket. Try Amazon.

13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Be alert to the fact that the cigarette lighter are dead when the Prius is off, so you will need one that clamps to the battery not the lighter ones.

14. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Great point-Thanks!

I remember leaving my car in a Norfolk VA parking lot for a 6 month Med Cruise and it would start right up when I got back. Times have changed.

15. C me now

C me now Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A newer battery with a decent charge will be fine sitting for 2 months while you're gone. It's also summer time with warm temps. Just lock it up and call it good.