1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

vacation SKS off

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by camry25, Aug 7, 2012.

1. camry25

camry25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this mean car will more likely get stolen? "If your Prius has an SKS, otherwise called a built-in car alarm system, press the "Smart" button near the steering wheel to turn off the SKS."

Also is this in the trunk?
    You can also detach the alarm system by disconnecting the 12-volt battery on the passenger side of the inside hatch.

2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Please provide references or origins of your quotes.

SKS stands for Smart Key System and I've never called it an alarm system, although you can have a panic button on the SKS transmitter/key FOB. It transmits a key code when the key is close to the door (like in purse or pocket), that then allows the owner to unlock the door with a button press or just by touching the door handle in newer Prii.

I don't know of any Prius with a "Smart" button near steering wheel. There is a SKS button under the steering wheel column that you can use to turn the SKS system off and on if you are going away for extended periods to slow battery drain (maybe 2 weeks or more).

If you disconnect the 12 volt battery you disable the whole Prius vehicle. That is a neat security system.

There are 4 Prius models out there now, Prius c, Prius v, Prius hatchback, and Plug in Prius. Was there a particular model you were asking about. This is the Prius v (wagon) forum you posted in.

I hope this helps

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OP: Do you have a Prius v wagon?