1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vacuum fill coolant system

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul Greenberg, Sep 21, 2024 at 6:13 AM.

1. Paul Greenberg

Paul Greenberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can I vacuum fill the 4th gen engine coolant system (not inverter) instead of doing the maintenance mode bleed process or should I do just one or both.
    Thanks. I did a search and could not find this answered.

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Easy. Go to Amazon and search for "Uview." Or Go to Harbor Freight and get their Maddox branded equivalent.

I use it to do my coolant change in 30 minutes without going into the service mode..

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the stuff to do vacuum filling. I've used it on a Prius one time, enough to say ok I've done that. I didn't find it any less fussy in the end than just using the repair manual procedure and letting the air burp out.

The difference with the vacuum business is you've got all the fussiness up front. It's like you're setting up a magic trick. If you get everything just so, then you open up the valve and say "Presto! Would you believe, ladies and gents, a perfect fill!"

And if it wasn't all just so in the setup, you end up with an imperfect fill, and get to start all over. You don't get to use the vacuum kit to finish a partial job, as it'll suck the hoses flat and spray the coolant out the vacuum generator.

AzWxGuy likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had no problems (on our Gen 3), no vacuum gizmo.

Attached Files:

CA Guy likes this.