1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vacuum pipe for Catalytic & EGR cleaner (P0420)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Quasar, Jun 17, 2024 at 12:15 AM.

1. Quasar

Quasar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been getting intermittent P0420 (cat converter) issues after a string of bad luck after buying dirty/stale petrol at a service station (misfires, loose spark plugs, head gasket, etc). All that's been fixed now, but now p0420 comes occasionally. It sometimes goes away after driving 1h+ on the highway.

I want to try a well-reviewed EGR/Cat cleaner product from a reputable company (link below) - which vacuum line do you recommend using for the below instructions? Is the PCV hose suitable?

"For more intense cleaning of the O2 sensor, exhaust gas recirculation valve, catalytic converter or particulate filter; connect a flexible tube with a tap (e.g. vacuum pipe) from the inlet manifold into the can of ECC+. Alternatively, the product can be poured directly into a pump spray bottle and sprayed directly into the vacuum pipe."

PRO SERIES EGR & CAT CLEAN + | Penrite Oil

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah that's the way a lot of the BG and other products can work so you have to find the suitable vacuum line generally I like one that's smaller than the PCV valve line that's kind of fat I'm usually trying to find a vacuum line that's you know what is it an 8-in 3/16 of the skinny ones they're all sucking through the intake so that's where the vacuum comes from in an ice engine then you've also got to get the ice engine running so someone's got to step on the gas or you have to put it in maintenance mode or God knows so I usually would just extend the skinny vacuum line with a roll that I have here at the shop in a little fitting and then sit in the driver seat put the container of BG or the cleaner right on the ground outside the door of the car not in the car so it can spill and then ready the car and I just step on the gas in place and the ice engine fires up I try to hold it about halfway down but when you start sucking in the cleaner it's going to drop the engine idle so I go ahead and more or less floor it get the RPMs heading up there and then drop the vacuum line in the cleaner If the RPMs go up a little bit I just let them as soon as enough of the cleaner gets in there and starts to flood everything it may try to bog the engine down sometimes you have to pull the tube out of the can and let it recover you'll see smoke coming out the back of the car in the short order and it smoke that will overtake you and make you sick so make sure you're not in your garage stall when you're doing this or at least half the car is out of the garage because you are going to see some smoke you won't forget It will even scare some people you'll think you're blowing up your car That's all the nastiness coming out keep letting it rev and let the golf ball size pieces of carbon and junk keep blowing out the tailpipe If you're outside against your garage wall and it's not dark colored it's fixing to be

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Waste of time and money once the cat is compromised. Even taking it out and soaking it directly does not work.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's a fact for sure I got a lady that swears by that cataclean or however it's spelled anyway she says she uses that right before inspection when the PO420 light is on and everything and it allows the light to go off at least long enough to get through inspection and a tab longer because it has to stay off for X amount of time for the state system to allow the inspection and then it does come back on but it doesn't matter till next year so I guess chemically it must do something that makes something happen for a few hours days or weeks I don't see it but hey if it works for and she's not having to buy a cat okay then I just made it a point to live in a state or county where we do not have emissions so those orange lights on the dash mean nothing to the inspection station All I get is honk the horn put on the turn signals step on the brake thank you very much $13.58 please see you next year then I have to do the same with the motorcycle and so on and so forth every year my God.

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just clearing the code will last for days sometimes because the ecm needs specific driving conditions to test the cat.

Of course the cat monitor would show incomplete if the inspector looked for it with a scanner.

If someone asked me how can I increase oil burning in my already old and loose Prius engine, I would say pour in heavy duty solvents like cat cleaners directly into an intake manifold vacuum line. Who knows you might even hydrolock a piston and end the game early.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wynn's company used to make a special system for all of this feeding through the intake kind of cleaning business with little adjusting valves on it so you could turn it down so you weren't sucking the stuff out so fast etc etc worked really well Wonder how many people remember or heard of wynns.

Quasar likes this.
  7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I remember Wynns.

The only chemical that ever did anything was a transmission slip additive known as Lubegard Red. It would dramatically restore old 90’s Toyota and Ford tranny slipping.

IMG_5404.jpeg IMG_5405.jpeg

Maybe a lead additive for old engines designed for leaded gas.

The rest of the overpriced auto supply chemicals just make a few Dallas producers rich.

Quasar and Tombukt2 like this.
  8. Quasar

Quasar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I guess I’ll find out soon when I try it - sucks that cleaning and soaking won’t do much.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can try halving the pistons. In their bores. Remove the spark plugs and you pour chemical in the four holes You let that stand overnight 2 days whatever you think some people will go out every few hours and move the crankshaft just a little bit so the solution moves a little bit not enough to pump it up out of the plug hole or bottom the piston just moving it minute half an inch something like that every few hours helps the solution run down past the rings and get to the oil control ring and go through the screen in the oil control ring and fall into the pan You could have the oil drained and the drain plug left out in a pan sitting underneath it and see what passes through and how dirty the solution is as it passes through somewhat and then of course just oil everything back up run the vehicle it will probably smoke a good bit as it burns off the chemical any remains of the foulness that the stuff picked up and what have you rev it up as you can and let it smoke back it up put it out on the street in front of the house and let it rip a few times till the smoking stops if it stops then after everything is settled down if that didn't thrash the oil you just put in which should have been some cheap stuff let it rip a few thousand miles and see what happens on your oil usage that is You normally do whatever in 3 to 500 mi what are you doing now in 3 to 500 mi did it get better If so then you kind of know where your problems lie

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can also build yourself a little manifold with a control valve out of a couple of pipes and some fittings stuff is like readily available at home Depot and things like that You can even find a valve with a knob on it to open and close the tea or the 90 whatever you're working with so you can drop a tube into the solution you're going to suck a tube comes off of the little manifold with the knob on it and goes to your vacuum line or vacuum fitting You start the vehicle You have someone sit in it and hold the throttle about halfway and you get out or you're already out and you open the volume adjustment knob until you see the stuff start sucking through the tube and then you back it off so it doesn't stall the engine It starts to make it run rough and you close it a little bit so it runs a little rough but it sucking the stuff in while this is happening you should see puffs of blackness smacking against your garage door or whatever and it'll turn it black I guess that's the carbon and soot that the stuff is cleaning out I've seen golf ball size pieces of stuff smack against the side of the house doing this made a real mess this was a thing in the '80s and '90s they made these manifolds to do this work look like an IV setup connected to the car.