1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vain owners with integrated looking 3rd party navigation ideas wanted.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robin McDonald, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Robin McDonald

Robin McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgive me for sort of a cross post but this seems like Gen 2 owners are probably more vain and superior than Gen 1 owners and I have a pretentious question.

For those of you who didn't get the navigation system with your Prius, have any of you come up with a third party navigation system solution that looks nicely integrated with your car. No one wants to screw those ugly black brackets into their nice interior.

I think it would be especially nice if sound could play over the system and I didn't need to be hooked up to the cigarette lighter
    with an adaptor.

Proud Prius People Please Post Pictures if you got 'em.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Garmin Black Box navigation system. Uses a remote control instead of touch screen but otherwise integrates into your screen nicely.

3. Robin McDonald

Robin McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Garmin black box GN52 and GN53? I just looked it up Okay that is a truly an awesome solution. That would be a dream come true so thanks.

Now what if you are vain but maybe not rich? Cos at 550 for the unit plus installation we are talking about $750 after sales tax.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's an interesting demographic; the vain but poor people. :madgrin:

1 person likes this.
  5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Paper maps are cheap. Portable, low-power, and most have readily available updates. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the gps in my nokia cell phone. Although it does sit in a proclip centre mount that you might find ugly.... i added a bracket to that to hold my scanguage, which i suppose is also ugly.

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Robin, but you're looking for a pie-in-the-sky. Anything that'll integrate is going to be pricey. But you don't have to have anything that mounts permanently. Many of the units have things like beanbags that you can set on the dash. I don't see how that works though--wouldn't short stops fling it off the dash regardless? I have a round black plastic disc that is fixed to the dash just above the MFD that the suction cup for my Garmin unit attaches to. It's a very minor permanent installation. There's nowhere on the dash itself that is flat enough for the suction cup to adhere to, and, even if it wasn't illegal in California to attach the suction cup to the windshield, the rake of the windshield makes that impractical (for me, anyway--I'm 5' tall and can't reach that far--do not know if someone with longer arms could deal with it.) Either yes, go with paper maps (thanks, Hyo--but these are not practical in all situations either--like when a geographically and visually challenged person--couldn't SEE the print on the AAA triptiks even if I could have handled them without anyone else in the car--takes a cross-country solo drive--remember when I did that? Would NOT have been possible without GPS), or get a dash/window mountable one that is completely removable and good for taking in other cars--even when those other cars are at the other end of a plane trip--VERY handy in new places!

How much is your vanity worth?

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you have verizon cell service. VZ nav works. just need cable to plug into aux port and a way to mount phone so you can see it.

mine has a sticky thing on the back of the phone that prevents it from sliding. works great. in fact, to show it off, i can set it on the slanted part of the dash on the 06 and drive around without it falling off.

i have a flip phone (eNV Touch) that opens like check book, i leave it open so the face is towards my eye level on 2010 (open SPM i used to use the storage beneath the CD player. was a perfect fit for the phone AND my i pod)